Mandrake Extremely Vulnerable

SwiftDeath

Let's take it one problem at a time. Much easier to deal with it that way. :D

Seeing your gonna reinstall, let's wait and see what problems arise this time around. IF, your still having that mouse problem, I can send you one of those green USB to PS/2 adapters. I got plenty laying around doing nothing :cheesy: (most USB mouses come with them)

Take the new install slowly, be sure to test the setup when asked, and use all the "expert" and custom options you can... It gives you much better control and does a better job.

Do let us know how you make out this time.

Luck,

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... I'm doing it pretty much the same... when I get to the networking and stuff I'll try the advanced options. I found a usb converter thingy in my dad's office and I borrowed it.

I am thinking maybe my motherboard isn't compatible, so I'm gonna install it this time with the 2.4 kernel instead of the 2.6.

Thanks, for the help, alot man.

Ok when I log out... it does it the non-graphical way so I say everyone.

The last four lines I see are

Halting system....

md:  stopping all md devices.

md: md0 switched to read-only mode.

Power down.

Then it just sits their forever.

Also, the mouse freezes up alot, and when I try to reinstall it freezes after the license agreement. Maybe this is a hardware problem?

many kernels with buggy acpi do this with me. ML-10CE had a kernel with buggy acpi. Earlier you mentions being afraid of the updates, but you can't be. CE was a bug in and of itself. The first thing to do after the new install is get all the updates so that you're using a 'stable' OS, then worry about configuration. Why config a bug? Install acpi and acpid and make sure you have

acpi=on

or

acpi=ht

in your bootloader config.

that is what i would do, if there are that many problems, try downloading the isos from another mirror (not that it would make a difference) then just totally wipe the disk and restart (personally i like doing this everyonce and a while (this is because i was forced to do this every month, @the end of the month for my XP machine) but now i am looking forward to downloading Mandrake 10 OE and then once i get everything the way i like it, i will use the dump command to make a backup of my drive, and that will be it B)

Not attempting to address solutions to your problems here and the following comment is meant in the best of intentions..

Two weeks isn't enough to draw your conclusions. Try a few months and then you will have a better understanding of linux and also of windows (linux does that to you).

Some of your points are not true E.g. #1.. although I can see how you might derive them..

Halting system....

Power down.

well, if the above is what were are calling an improper shutdown. It's not. It is not an improper shutdown, at least when I get those same messages. I just push the button. At reboot, all is well. Always has been. Note: I've seen those exact messages countless times having complied more kernel than I can remember, many having test patches and being test kernels. I just push the button. Just my experiences. Your miles may vary. :D

I would try, when you get and install the power pack to use a reiser file system. It seems much more stable to me. I had my ext2 file system tank on me once. Just once though and I still don't know why since after a clean and new install it ran fine for almost a year untill I installed 9.2 and reiserFS.

During your install I would probably just use the standard security level and then later install a nice GUI front end app to help with the firewall. The firewall is still there even on a standard level.

Don't worry to much about viri in linux there are so few you'll hurt yourself trying to find one loose on the net.

Read up a little on the EASYURPMI web site and urpmi updating methods. It really helped me once I found out about it and started using it.

Halting system....

Power down

I get this message every single time and I got to use the button to power off. I understand it that the system is already in "Shutdown mode" and it is safe to use the button.

The reason for the system not to power itself off is a (known) bug in the VIA circuit on my Abit KX7-333 MB (or at least that is what I found out when playing around with ACPI and trying to fix the problem). ACPI does not work with it and I guess I can blame VIA for that (funny though that Widows works OK...).

I have no problems restarting the PC though. Using ML10CE with ReiserFS.

Hashimoto

There isnt a problem with this shutdown problem.

Ya'know once upon a time, you would press shutdown then the computer would stop and you had to turn it off manually. That was normal. Then they introduced a cool new feature that does the button off bit for you. What is simplpy happening here is the button off bit isnt beig done. It is perfectly safe to turn it off and it has NOT frozen or crashed.

Linux has less software. Windows has more software. Linux has almost as much quality software as windows. Linux has more free quality software than windows.

Who wants crappy shareware, 30 day trials, crippleware, limited software, spyware, adware, viruses........

Ya know, how about asking google? you might find any number of these: http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-sof...-en/table.shtml programs. And that list is scratching the surface.

Whenever a computer is improperly shut down, this will always cause troubles. At my school my whole yearlevel is required to get laptops. Thats over 100. And quite a few windoze systems have suffered data corruption or corruption of their Windows because battery power has hit 0 and power has gone. I myself have lost power in Linux, and I havent had any problems though, but data loss or corruption is certainly a possibility. Iratery dieonically as i was typing this the first time, my battery died :)

The reason all those things went bye bye after an improper shutdown is because of one thing

It has been common practice for *nix programs to create a lock file. These programs check for lock file when they start. If there isnt one the program starts and creates one. If there is a lock file, the program doesnt start. These lock files are removed when the program stop, however the dont get the chance to remove them in a bad shutdown. THey are to stop the program/service from running more than once. Not all programs use them, they are mainly used for services like

Apache, DHCP (explains why your network and internet fail), afaik KDE arTs sound server also uses one.

Upon the shutdown of your computer these lock files are removed and thats why they will work next time.

A for urpmi, its good, but its still not the greatest. But windows doesnt have anything that rivals it.

Plug and play: Linux is still new and the hardware vendors are only starting to acknowledge it. We do what we can with drivers, but its hard for developers to work with a lack of documentation, time, and are doing it for free. Hardware companies will have a team working on a driver and hey will have unlimited information about the hardware. Most driver developers are on their own to start and may pick up a few people that will help along the way and they lack the specifics about the hardware. IMHO Its quite frankly amazing how much hardware Linux actually does support without vendor help and without documentation.

Linux is young. It has coming a long way, and is starting to be recognised. It's survival is not one thing i would doubt -- more people now use linux than mac, and vendors are now being very supportive. IBM are fighting a lawsuit for us, pretty much, as well as providing excellent support and publicity. Acer, HP and other vendors are now starting to offer Linux in different parts of the world and I am sure other vendors are too

Good luck

iphitus

Edited by iphitus

SwiftDeath. In one of your earlier posts, did you say your file system was hda ???

If you did then you are wrong, hda is simply your first hard drives first partition . I can't seem to find anywhere where you answered correctly what file system you were using. If I am wrong then please accept my apology.

Is it ext2 or is it ext3 or is it reiserf ?? During the installation process you set your choice of file system when you setup the partitions so since you do not remember that part, I would say there is every likliehood that you have ext2 and yes when you have a bad closedown it is very difficult to recover.

I use the ext3 file system and it is amazing to watch the rebooting process going through each partition in turn checking and making adjustments then finally coming to login as normal.

That was NEVER the case when I used ext2 before ext3 came out.

Hello,

First of all, using MDL 10.0 CE without updates is asking for trouble. The CE (Community Edition) is meant as an early release for the ones that want the newest and the coolest and are prepared to take some bugs with it. So it is very possible that a lot of your problems will be gone after installing MDL 10.0 OE (Official Edition). That is the same as CE, but with most of the bugs solved.

Now some comments about your intial post:

1. What you describe about software not working anymore is something that I once had with MDL 9.0, but I had it installed on a ext2 filesystem. ext2 is no journalised filesystem, so that means problems after an improper shutdown. Make sure to install on a journalise filesystem like ext3 or ReiserFS.

You can't do automatic updates with the GUI. You can only do it with URPMI, and I tried it with URMPI, and it actually overwritten some programs and files messing them up, like my apache server.
I update at least once a week (if there are updates to be done). Always use the GUI, never had programs that got broken (I think you must be using a wrong command there). Just use the update functionality from RPMdrake (via the Configure your computer menu item).

3. It is true that driver support can be a problem. If you have quite standard HW, you will not have a lot of problems (for me it always worked excellent even for my digital still and video cameras, they require seperate driver installation under Winbloze, but are recognized without problems in MDL 10). IMHO if this is a problem for you, you have bad luck, since for most people there are not that much problems anymore.

4. I do not agree that there is a lack of software for Linux. That all depends on what you want to do. For me, with what I do, I can do everything (including editing my digital video and stuff) on MDL 10 and I do not really need Winbloze anymore. But of course you need to install it. What I do is setting all sources (you can use

the easy URPMI website to do so). Then, if I want to do something that I don't have the correct software for yet, in the software install module of RPMdrake, I just type a keyword of what I want to do and specify that het needs to look in the descriptions as well. I then get most of the time several software packages that can do what I want. I install them all and try them to keep only my favourite. Of course there are some areas where software on Linux can be a problem. E.g. I still did not find a good alternative to M$ Access. Also the children have a lot of Winbloze games, and I never got to trying Wine at all. But I now created a seperate logon for them and installed all Linux games that they might be interested in, so even the children now use more Linux then Winbloze.

So in any case try the OE and use RPMdrake. Maybe that most of your troubles will be gone.

Ciao,

Sitor

I think the problem is basica;lly the installer and perhaps your mouse!

The installer has to guess configs whichg can be fixed later but if you constantly have problems on the install this is probably just becuase the guess isnt good enough!

If this happens then I usually make the ABSOLUTE minimum install. Get everything working and then add packages from the CD's or urpmi.

The problem is likely to be as Hashimoto says... the ACPI.

And the reason Windows works is becuase Microsoft made a 'mistake' with acpi implementation in win98. This meant the acpi didnt work so some MOBO manufactuerers deliberately made a broken acpi support which didnt fit the acpi standard but worked for winj98.

I would suggest not trying too much at once (i.e. apache etc) just get a stable-working install then add apache .. etc. that way you can solve the problems incrementally.

also note that apmd is no longer installed and ran at boot by default anymore. Well, if acpi isn't either......how do you shutdown? If acpi doesn't work install apmd. Pretty simple. I've seen the same thing on 5 machines. Either or will shut them all down.