Mandrake Extremely Vulnerable

SwiftDeath

Ok when I log out... it does it the non-graphical way so I say everyone.

The last four lines I see are

Halting system....

md:  stopping all md devices.

md: md0 switched to read-only mode.

Power down.

Then it just sits their forever.

Also, the mouse freezes up alot, and when I try to reinstall it freezes after the license agreement. Maybe this is a hardware problem?

Compile a new kernel. I think you need APM support... not sure, though.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Halting system....

md: stopping all md devices.

md: md0 switched to read-only mode.

Power down.

this is exactly what my comp says, i just press the power button, i dont think that it crashes there, that is just the way it does it, but i rarely ever have to shut the comp off

Hmm.... I guess I will go to easy URMPI and learn more about updating.

I am still unsure whether I should do it the URPMI or GUi way?

I know the URMPI way you can accidently overwrite or mess something up, but is that possible the GUI way? I just don't want to mess up the computer like a did before.

I don't really need to learn the update thingy since I'm getting Official, but it'd be a good thing to know anways

I am pretty sure I am using the standard which I beleive is EXT3.

I guess I will turn it off the manual way. I am using the 2.4 kernel because I heard the 2.6 isn't as compatible? Should I try to switch kernels?

I will continue to use linux, and I guess at the end of the summer, I'll make my descision which one I prefer for a desktop, I already prefer linux for a server :lol:

About the software, I realize their are a lot of alternitives. But theirs specefic software that I beleive doesn't have an equal. For example, I have a broker and they only let you buy and sell stock with their program, called TradeStation 8.0, and its only Windows Compatible.

I'm also a web designer and I use frontpage, and some Macromedia utilities, and I do beleive linux has alternitives, but they don't appear to match in quality.

The third software only for windows I'd need to use is called LOLA, its a software that lets you take music off of your computer and watch it on the TV, using their program and remote. Its only for windows

:o

Hopefully, in a couple weeks, after I learn the true basics such as getting a stable system :P , I will attempt to learn WINE and WINEX.

I appreciate everyone's help, and I can't wait till my Mandrake PowerPack 10.0 Official comes in! (It was only 6 bucks on ebay, what a deal :D)

if you don't want something updated via urpmi or rpmdrake, put it in /etc/urpmi/skip.list

[root@localhost root]# cat /etc/urpmi/skip.list

kernel

kernel-source

lilo

grub

XFree86

[root@localhost root]#

the above and their dependencies are skipped when I do updates

Edited by bvc

I am still unsure whether I should do it the URPMI or GUi way?

I prefer the GUI way by far. Only if I'm already working in console and I know the name of what to install, I use CLI URPMI.

I don't really need to learn the update thingy since I'm getting Official, but it'd be a good thing to know anways

Yes you should. You need to update regularly to make sure your PC is staying secure. Also on Linux most updates are for security reasons. On Winbloze you have them and can have them installed automatically, without any explaining about what is installed (might be more Trojans and there is probably some reason why you often can't remove them anymore). With Linux also you need to install them if you don't want to be vulnerable to crackers.

I guess I will turn it off the manual way. I am using the 2.4 kernel because I heard the 2.6 isn't as compatible? Should I try to switch kernels?

If I were you, I would install 2.6 (faster then 2.4). If it doesn't work (heard as well it is still more selective on HW), you can still install 2.4. What can you loose? 30 minutes?

called TradeStation 8.0, and its only Windows Compatible

Not a lot of choice there. You will then need dual boot or try WINE, or if you want to spend some money to make your life easier Win4lin, Crossover Office or VMware (the latter is the most sure to work, but costs most as well). I still use the dual boot.

I'm also a web designer and I use frontpage, and some Macromedia utilities, and I do beleive linux has alternitives, but they don't appear to match in quality.

NVU (www.nvu.org) has been cited to be an alternative for that. Haven't been able to install it yet. Packages for MDL 10 are in the making. And there is the Mozilla Composer of course.

The third software only for windows I'd need to use is called LOLA, its a software that lets you take music off of your computer and watch it on the TV, using their program and remote. Its only for windows

There are Open Source alternatives, I'm sure. Pretty sure that MythTV does the job and much more. You will probably even be able to reuse your remote with LIRC. But it might not be very easy to set up though!

Good luck in any case,

Sitor

sitor thats www.nvu.com

NVU (www.nvu.org) has been cited to be an alternative for that. Haven't been able to install it yet. Packages for MDL 10 are in the making. And there is the Mozilla Composer of course.

i just downloaded and installed it. it is a tarball, but just extract it

tar -zxvf

then cd into the nvu dir and run ./nvu

its that simple. no compiling. no make. no make install.

Edited by linux_learner

When I tried to run ./nvu, I get this error:

nsNativeComponentLoader: GetFactory(libwidget_gtk2.so) Load FAILED with error: /home/sitor/downloads/nvu-0.20/libgtkxtbin.so: undefined symbol: gdk_threads_lock

But I'm happy that it works for you.

Ciao,

Sitor

I get a similiar error with NVU, too.

So whats better file system, ext3 or reiserfs?

It is getting more reliable and more reliable as I'm starting to understand how everything works.

Finally getting stuff to work, like XXMS, Limewire, and K3b, and its sweet.

I personally prefer reiserfs. You'll find arguements either way, really. Most say that if you're dealing mainly with large files, use ext3. If you're dealing mainly with small files, use reiserfs. Honestly, I don't think you'll notice a difference, but I definitely suggest reiserfs.

I'm a little peeved with ext3. I was using ext3 when I accidentally(rm -rf...) erased family pictures, music, videos...only to find out that there was a bug in ext3 and I could not recover anything. However with ext2 that option is available. It all worked out in the end as I learned how to create separete partitions for /home, /mnt/Pictures... and to back EVERYTHING up on a serparete partition(/mnt/backup) and to a disc.

I figured out how to get NVU to work.

Can you describe how? It might work for me aas well.

PS: Swiftddeath, could you change the title of this topic. By using the terms vulnerable and unreliable, a lot of newbies on the forum might get scared of thinking Mandrake is not safe and crashes a lot, which is clearly not the case, on the contrary. Thanks.

Ciao,

Sitor

I personally prefer reiserfs. You'll find arguements either way, really. Most say that if you're dealing mainly with large files, use ext3. If you're dealing mainly with small files, use reiserfs. Honestly, I don't think you'll notice a difference, but I definitely suggest reiserfs.

I suggest some BENCHMARKS!!!

:devil:

What should I change the title of the topic, too?

For NVU... it was really easy it just said it was missing some libraries and I installed them via RPMDRAKE and then I just installed it. I forgot the exact way it was a long time ago, I think theirs a readme.

I also started trying to emulate windows with wine, but little luck. Anyone here got some free time that I can chat with over an IM or something?