Mandrake Extremely Vulnerable

SwiftDeath

I was attracted to linux and saw that mandrake was for the beginners.

Now before you label me off as a idiot, I've been using this OS for 2 weeks.

This was all done with Mandrake 10.0 Community Edition. If The OE release fixes all this than I apologize for voicing these problems.

It seems that whenever a computer is improperly shut-down it completely ruins the functionality and operation of the system. Now I know its not a good thing to improperly turn off your computer, its a bad thing, but its completely absurd to expect for it to never happen at all.

Heres a list of the programs and applications damaged by the improper shut-down in my experience.

• Apache
  • Internet
  • Networking
  • Sound
  • Ability to restart

*ability to restart means I can't restart the computer or turn it off the normal way, and in consequence I have to turn it off manually (improperly) thus doing even more damage to the operating system.

I've seen some pretty bad bs with microsoft, but I've never seen a computer not be able to restart.

*NOTE: Number 1 is really important, concerns after this aren't that major*

It seems that updating with mandrake isn't that great of a system yet. You can't do automatic updates with the GUI. You can only do it with URPMI, and I tried it with URMPI, and it actually overwritten some programs and files messing them up, like my apache server.

3. Plug and Play and driver support isn't nearly equal to microsofts. It takes forever to keep your sound card or lan card to work if it isn't automatically set up with the install. Drivers are hard to find and which ones to use.

4. Lack of software. This is self-explanatory, a lot of stuff you can't do in linux that you can with windows unless you master wine and winex, which can be confusing for new users.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I please do not wish to be flamed, I am just voicing my concern for the survival of linux verses the giants. I do have a couple things I do like about Mandrake though.

1. Its free

2. Comes with most basic needed applications

3. Very easy to set up a tv on your comp

Lets please keep this a good conversation, and yes I am a newb to linux, but that may make my opinion more valuable because I represent most window users trying to transfer over to linux.

I also would appreciate if someone would tell me how to make all this more stable, or at least a distribution that can handle what this one cannot.

Edited by SwiftDeath

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am using mandrake 10 community right now, and i have had none of those problems, i have only had problems when i try to do something that i shouldnt (b/c im a noob) other that that i have had no problems....and i am a long time XP user....so

*NOTE: Number 1 is really important, concerns after this aren't that major*

How's this installed ? In a separate system or sharing a drive with windows ? What file system did you choose to install to? Have you ever installed windows from scratch ? Something went wrong and with some more info, our members here will be able to get you back up and running more stable.

I currently have a windows only system that is refusing to boot and is producing various stop errors and saying some file needs to be reinstalled. I would love to blame MS on this one, but I suspect a hardware issue this time on my machine.

Another noob here. I am also running MDK10.0 CE.

Concern 1. I have never had a problem with a bad shut down. Trust me, it happens a lot in my house, with a wife that is used to Windows, and a 3 year old, who is fascinated with buttons. As a matter of fact, the last time It happened, MDK went thru it's check, and fixed another problem that I was having.

Concern 2. I personaly don't like the Idea of automatic updates. With Windows, "here's a group of annonymous "upgrades" that you will take and like it". I prefer looking at individual packages, and reading the description (this also helps me wiith my "noobness"). If you are one of the people who has to use automatic updates, I understand that if you structure your URPMI command correctly, you've got all sorts of flexibility over what gets written or overwritten. You can ask it to keep the old versions of certain things, etc.

Concern 3. You're right, in my experience the "plug and play" is not as supported, but that seems more 3rd party problem than MDK. I've had only one problem in this departemt, and the nice people on this board fixed it quick (within 24 hours). Surprisingly enough, I am actually glad I had the problem, because this is another one of those learning experiences that I am using to help others now.

Concern 4. True, not as much software out there, but I have yet to find something that can be done in Windows but not be done in Linux. And I don't even use wine or winex.

My transition from Windows has been smooth. I actually thought I would have to keep my Windows partition longer. Yesterday, I told my wife to make sure all the doccuments she wanted were off of Windows, because It was gonna be gone by Monday. Some of the other members here who have read some of my post, know that I have recently completed the setup of my FTP server (thru MDK Linux). I had been messing with that for months in Windows.

The first step to making the sys more stable might be to get the necessary bug fixes and upgrades. (I did do those in a big lump. So people can call me a hypocrite :D )

But this is just the observations of another complete noob to linux.

point 1:

What is your file system for / and /home ?

I've had my young childrens wildly switching off my computer numerous time but never had problem any more since I used a journalized file system: Ext3 or ReiserFS.

If you use one of the 2 file system above and had all messed then I tell you: bad luck.

Else, having to use the hard reset button or do a wild switching off is extremely rare on Linux. In fact I don't think it ever happened except at the very beginning. Do you know how to cleanly kill a crashed app in Linux ?

My internet is always screwed up just by restarting improperly. I am glad that their are solutions. When I unstall the connection and reinstall it normally doesn't work. Maybe its my router (DI-614+) or i'm not selecting the right thing (LAN or Cable, aren't they the same thing).

I am not sharing a partition or anything with windows. its a 100 percent linux. I think my file system is hda? I am not sure I am using the default from the installation.

I am afraid to try the updates because last time I tried it screwed up apache and some other things. The GUI one doesn't really show any updates eitheir. Plus the internet got screwed up. :unsure:

I also bought Mandrake 10.0 official and I'm going to try that soon. Its the 5 cd one (Power Pack or something? Have no clue what that does)

The reason I'd have to do a force shutdown is that linux doesn't turn my computer off. It gets to KILL Signals or something and a couple lines later it just stops, and hangs their forever.

Edited by SwiftDeath

It seems the whole OS is ex3.... I am just gonna reinstall I think. Not much to lose :lol:

But then again, I need to know what happened so I can rely on this OS in the future. Any idea was its so buggy?

Does it matter the fact that I'm running on a high security level? Could I have got a virus?

EDIT: I'm not gonna reinstall the OS, untill I figure out whats wrong, so i make sure this doesn't happen again.

Thanks for the help. I appreciaite it.

Edited by SwiftDeath

In the high-secuirty-level you can only shut down as root I believe, but that wouldn't explain why it even starts teh shutdown ..so maybe you knew that ..sorry then.

Normally corruption will be "fixed" .... ext3 will do a check on boot although it isn't really necessary I THINK. Reiserfs will repair evrything quickly and also xfs-filesystem. There are others, but I haven't used them yet.

Depending on what you want there is quite some software availabel to my opinion. Maybe there should eb a simple script that gives you a lot of download-servers ..

Maybe powerpack-users have this already perinstalled(liek when you choose a server for updates you get a list)?

When you have reinstalled and experience problems ... just post them here and we'll try to help.

Good luck!

Ok... yeah it does do its fixes, but they don't seem to help much. yeah when I shut off... I get all the way of the gui, so I don't think thats the problem.

I also got this same internet problem at another computer at a different house. The interenet just stopped working after an improper shutdown. I know its not the cable cause when we plug a laptop in, the internet works there.

Ok... yeah it does do its fixes, but they don't seem to help much. yeah when I shut off... I get all the way of the gui, so I don't think thats the problem.

Ok, you hit log-out, and it takes you...

all the way of the gui

Your at a command line, aren't you ?

At this point, do you type this ?

halt

Ok when I log out... it does it the non-graphical way so I say everyone.

The last four lines I see are

Halting system....

md:  stopping all md devices.

md: md0 switched to read-only mode.

Power down.

Then it just sits their forever.

Also, the mouse freezes up alot, and when I try to reinstall it freezes after the license agreement. Maybe this is a hardware problem?

Also, the mouse freezes up alot, and when I try to reinstall it freezes after the license agreement. Maybe this is a hardware problem?

From what I read here, yes there is a good chance this will solve the restarting problem. Maybe we can still fix this mouse problem?

Any chance that mouse came with one of those green adapters ?

Which mouse are we trying to pick in mcc or mousedrake ? I hear the any USB/PS2 selection works good instead of try to choose the so called "right one."

Well right now I can't choose anything because the OS crashed so bad, I am just gonna reinstall it. I'll probably buy a PS/2 mouse soon, now.

What do you recommend about the weird restarting problems? And any clue why the internet stops working sometimes? Sometimes my sound doesn't work, but i'll get to that once I get the OS on first.

But do you have any clues as to why the system gets so buggy after such a short period of time (2-3 weeks). How do you restart the comp if the mouse doesn't work (using gnome)? Maybe that will stop all these force reboots and make it less buggy and more stable.

Edited by SwiftDeath