AHHH!

Urza9814

Aurgh! I broke my internet...and I really don't wanna reinstall. Somehow, by running the drak for internet connection sharing, I broke it. And I can't fix it. I can't figure out how to undo the stupid thing, just disable it...and that doesn't work. I tried setting up my internet again too, and that didn't work either...any ideas?

moved from Software by spinynorman

I am also out of ideas on how to get Mandy to network! I am beginning to think that the Drake utilities are real dogs!

to network you have to run the samba config prog...I just forgot that until after I ran the other one...after running that you just go to smb:// or something...maybe /smb...not totally sure...

Would the config files for this be under root or /home? If they're under root, then I'll just format it and reinstall, but if they're under /home, is there any way I can replace them? Can I just delete them and run the drak to re-create them? Or can you at least tell me where they are? I might have an old backup I can move in...

Urza:

Before you make a new fresh install, try the following (if you really messed up your system):

- insert the first Install cd, boot your pc

- choose install

- it will detect an installed mandrake system

- it will offer to update (or upgrade, can't remember the wording) this system

- then just answer the questions. Basically it will reset your system to the default settings, and controls if all rpm's needed are installed.

It can't hurt ;-) if you can't find a solution.

Edited by anna

I've got a suggestion, and it may sound too simplistic, but I had the exact same problem after messing with the share a connection option.

Ready?

Check your firewall one more time. For some reason, when I messed with that share setting, MDK raised up one monster of a firewall that didn't let anything thru. I don't know why. I had the firewall compltetly off before my fiddling. It took me 5 days and about 30 post on this site before I figured it out.

I got in and completely turned off the firewall, then rebooted (I know probably not necessary, but old Windows habits die slow). Everything worked fine after that.

If this dosen't help, sorry. But It sounds exactly like the prob. that I had.

Make sure you check the default firewall that comes with MDK, as well as any other that you may have installed.

Edited by kmc77

since were dicussing messed up internet connections: In the past I brought my box into work (dsl), configure it to connect, did all my updates (sweet) then got home (dial up :( ) and couldn't connect to any sites :angry: I ended up reinstalling my system :angry: when even the upgrade/update trick didn't work. And now I read it may have been a stupid firewall :wall: I never thought of that, I kept setting up my connection over and over :screwy: and over...............

I am also out of ideas on how to get Mandy to network! I am beginning to think that the Drake utilities are real dogs!

ahem....

what was I tellin ya guys...

linuxconf rocks!

OK....

The new 10.0 ones are actually much better. (IMHO)

I would try an use the manage connections and delete them ALL.

This will get rid of the ICS stuff TOO.

(im presuming you dont wat it right now)

Then redo the wizard without the ICs stuff...

If you DO want the ICs stuff in future I recoomend downloading the shorewall quickstarts from their site!

hey, you were right kmc...just messed with my firewall. Thanks!

You mean I actually helped someone? Wohoo, I'm now a productive board member.

Glad that was the problem. I almost reinstalled when I was having the problem. I decided to run down my checklist of possible causes one more time before I did. I'm glad I did.

Does anyone know if that is some kind of MDK security feature? It seems that as soon as you start messing with sharing a connection, MKD raises that hellatious firewall?

Edited by kmc77

the firewall is the way it shares.... it uses iptables which is the basis of all linux firewalls.

basically it says if you receive a request from X do this with it. For ICS that X is your other machine and the do this is redirdct it to the internet.

the problem is the very weird way mandrake does the firewall!

http://lists.shorewall.net/cgi-bin/htsearch

Running Shorewall on Mandrake® with a two-interface setup?

If so, the documentation on this site will not apply directly to your setup. If you want to use the documentation that you find here, you will want to consider uninstalling what you have and installing a setup that matches the documentation on this site. See the Two-interface QuickStart Guide for details.

Update: I've been informed by Mandrake Development that this problem has been corrected in Mandrake 10.0 Final (the problem still exists in the 10.0 Community release).

http://shorewall.net/shorewall_index.htm#Mandrake

The setup from mandrake is just weird, whatever way you look at it,

What they mean by fixed I dont know. What I do know is that shorewall is very well documented BUT the way mandrake set it up the documentation doesnt make sense.

Shorewall itself, used with THEIR setup is not at all hellaceous!