From RedHat 8/9 to Mandrake 10

ral

Last time I used ML was with version 8.2. I first went to Mandrake for its reputation as being a user friendly distribution. Jumped to RedHat when they came out with the simplified BlueCurve desktop and anti-aliased fonts. With the support for RedHat 9 expiring, I jumped back into Mandrake 10 and found out it had most of the things I went to RedHat for, plus a few things like Supermount, which is working well for me.

I can see why Mandrake has not been able to make the same waves RedHat has. I would have to put it to "quality control". Despite efforts, I cannot get 3D Acceleration with my ATI card. I think I need to use a different Kernel version to get it to work. I cannot watch VCD which use to work fine with RedHat and Xine. The other day I tried to install the Gnome desktop (from the OE CD's) and got an error during the install. Also I cannot seem to play a Region 3 DVD (not sure if I could do this with RedHat).

In the end... I am happy with it, a few minor problems for me considering I still dual boot with Windows. But for most homeusers the problems I outlined would be show stoppers and back to Windows they would go.

Maybe Mandrake should let the other distro's go forward and be cutting edge and iron out what they already have? A bit short of the mark for the home desktop. To be fair, so was RedHat, but we do knwo that they are not targetting the home desktop.

I agree that Mandake is a bit rough. Recently, I made the mistake of leaving my cook source active while performing an upgrade check. Yikes! I ended up with a predictable mess. I couldn't sort it out, so I re-installed. Now, Mandrake won't give me sound, a network, nor run an x server with the Nvidia drivers. :wall: I can deal with problems, but please, not all of them all at once! :D At any rate, I still have a running SuSE installation, and of course windows. I'll keep banging away, but I must admit I'm baffled as to why Mandrake is behaving like this. It installed without a hitch before.

Rarely did a windex install just simply not work. :woops:

This post inspired me, lol.

I thought all linux distro's were this rough? but you mean theirs one with a lot less errors? Thats good knews, cause mandrake does seem a bit too rough for me, with all the errors.

Would distro would you recommend me thats relatively problem free with a descent GUI interface that can is fast when running Apache, MySql, and maybe a game server?

I am not an expert. Only tried Mandrake and RedHat. RedHat... was less problematic IMHO but offered less... but that was pre Fedora days. I am not sure what RedHat on the "cutting edge" is like.

One of the other persons here may be able to help you.

It's ashame really. 10 has been the best mandrake for me and I see for many others as well. I was at a party last night with some influential people and when I was asked, and I shared, what my 'hobby' was, I was then asked, "so would you recommend people using windows to switch over to using linux?". My answer?

"I think everyone should try linux, after all it's free to try and free to use, so why not try? Is linux for everyone? No. If you're not willing, or have the time to learn a little, stick with windows or mac (some were prefered mac users). If you are going to try linux, at this time I recommend SuSE. Normally I would recommend Mandrake but it has been a strange animal lately, some, like myself, having great success with it and others very little succes. SuSE seems to be a good experience for most."

I'd never recommend RH for a first timer. For me, Debian has by far been the best. It just works. Others would say it's a pain to setup, but it sets up just as easily as mandrake for me. The problem with recommending Debian is the install isn't the easiest.

Edited by bvc

bvc Posted on May 23 2004, 08:58 PM

It's ashame really. 10 has been the best mandrake for me and I see for many others as well.

Here, also installed no problems what so ever, find it sort of boring because I, didn't have to install anything. Everything worked and it seems very stable, so far anyways.Has been installed for about a month now. But have heard many ppl with lots of problems installing, etc!

The problems I have had with Mandrake 10 are minor. Got my sound card and other hardware detected properly and the original install went flawlessly. Not needing to mount and unmount CD's and floppy's will help many a Windows convert (one of the most common problems I have had with people trying out Linux).

On the other hand, in 2 years I don't think I have converted anybody to Linux.

Reasons:

1. It wont run most games.

2. It wont run some apps like MSOffice/Kazaa... yes there is a alternative, but people want the same program.

On the other hand I have moved a lot of people over to Mozilla and OpenOffice.