FC 2

fc2 is a nice rpm distro, but it feels a little slow and i haven't figured out why yet.

Yeah it is, compared to MDK. FC2 runs a program called prelink. It takes a while on a full install. Its suppose to help with program loading speed.

P.S. I'm still playing around with FC2. :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linux.com does not exactly praise FC2 :oops:

"As I sit before my new installation of Fedora Core 2 (FC2) I'm reminded of the first time I had to put down a beloved dog. FC2 suffers from some fatal flaws. For most people, it will be best to put this malformed whelp out of its misery and wait for the Fedora Project's next litter of pups, which promises some awesome powers."

http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/05/26/1441241

The things they were complaining about are probably things that 90% of people don't care about.

I did like the comment about how FC may screwup your windoze booting. They said "this isn't a bug - its a security feature..."

:lol:

That is a horribly written review, hope they didn't pay this guy for it:

Those of us who administer systems need a fast, easy way to edit configuration files. We know where most of those files live, and can usually type them in to the File Open dialog a lot faster than we can get to them via the browsing tool. But my favorite tool, gedit, is no longer suitable for that purpose, because, as you can see from the screen shot at right, there is no longer any way to type a filename into the File Open dialog!

Ever heard of a "terminal window" (and vi) Mr experienced sys admin?

His criticisms of FC2 seem to be:

1) He doesn't like Gnome 2.6

2) Theres a problem with pdf creation in OOo

3) Bug in rhythmbox

4) Someone hasn't ported his favourite plugin from Gimp 1.2 to Gimp 2.0

Is it just me or are these problems in specific upstream packages and personal gripes?

• 2 weeks later...

We I can say I like Red Hat's blue curve more than the default Gnome or KDE. Blue curve is my favorite desktop environment. I can't comment on the final version of FC2, but I can say that FC2 test2, was horribly buggy and unstable, with SELinux on, it was flat out unusable. I have never used FC2 and I can't base my opinon of it on test2 though.

Edit: one major annoyance with FC2 is the lack of native NTFS support. FC is one of the only distros that does not ship with NTFS support.

Another major pet peeve about FC2 test 2 was that I still need to manually mount and unmount my CD rom from command line to read or eject it.

Writing a CD on FC2 test2 turned out to be a lost cause and I gave up trying.

Sound did not work on either computer with FC2, but it didn't with Mandrake either, and rarely ever does, so I can't deduct many points there.

Edited by Priest

Due to the uncertain legal status of using the NTFS driver, RedHat and Fedora have chosen to leave the driver out of their kernels.

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/about.html

FC 2 should now mount your drives, believe there using submount.

Sound should work fine with most cards in final.

cdrecord or k3b should work just fine, i use them.

No one should run selinux unless they understand it, i don't know what your back ground is, i'm just makeing that statement in "general".

Edited by cybrjackle

I personally feel anaconda in FC2 is set up very well for average joe user and it looks very professional - something which Mandrake doesn't (YET) match

that's me... the average joe user

Iagree that RH / FC look more professional than, say, mdk. I know its the guts of the OS, not the prettiness of the distro, that does the work, but nice looking distros are just... uh... nicer looking...

From what little I used mdk (8.1 & 9.0) I was a little turned off by the rougher look of it.

I went from mdk 8.1, to mdk 9.0, then to RH 9, and now to FC 1. I'd like to just stick to one distro to learn everything on, and then maybe check out some others after I know what I'm doing. I think I'll use FC 2 to learn on.

LOL

This is very true but its funny, its MDK customising KDE and Gnome that makes it look rough!

Inverse marketing AGAIN ... like changing the default KDE startup... and logo etc.

Oh well!

The most complaints I hear about FC 2 is that there are no media players. It's an annoyance, but can be easily overcome by adding certain repositories into your yum.conf file and typeing "yum install totem" for example. The last time I used FC was FC2t1 (due to outside circumstances...)

Theres a good fedora core multimedia howto over at tldp by ESR (but don't let that put you off), which should enable you to have many multimedia players with loads of illegal codecs - I don't condone any of this behaviour :devil: