Shockwave for linux?

Gnubie

I heard some time ago that Macromedia is working to port their Shockwave plugin to Linux. However since then I have heard nothing, and I am wondering how far along they are towards releasing it? Does anyone know?

Shockwave is one thing that keeps some users away from linux.

The reason it hasn't gotten much attention, is that web games are all it's good for as far as I've ever seen.

For those who don't know, shockwave is a lot like the old apple hypercard system, that uses flash. It's realy only ever used for games, and most of the games that use it are pretty cheesy.

shockwave wouldnt keep anyone away from linux. Im yet to come across a website that requres shockwave, not flash in the just over a year ive had Linux.

As has been said, its only use is for cheesy games -- and half of them are in flash too. And if shockwave does keep anyone away from linux -- they really need to get some decent games!!

such as angband http://www.thangorodrim.net

iphitus

Edited by iphitus

I dunno, if were trying to prevail over windows we need to show were the sharper edge.

I don't know much abt linux, because I am very new. But I imagine once linux becomes easier to use with less bugs, more general support for software (such as shockwave) and stuff) and hardware, and lot harder to crash, then I beleive it will prevail over windows.

I use linux because of the price, and I kinda like to be the rebel sometimes. But I doubt the general user will use linux because of those reasons. :lol:

• 2 months later...

iph, you crazy Aussie, angband sucks.

What you talking about...

Anyway, like I've always said: whether or not you like or believe in a piece of software does not subtract from the value of having it ported to Linux, so sign the damn petition! :cheesy:

iph, you crazy Aussie, angband sucks.

What you talking about...

Anyway, like I've always said: whether or not you like or believe in a piece of software does not subtract from the value of having it ported to Linux, so sign the damn petition! :cheesy:

I dont play it all too much anymore anyway, I really need to reinstall RTCW or ET....... but i stand by it, its a fscking great game, maybe not graphics wise, but it definitly rocks gameplay wise.

iphitus