Mandrake giving up?

Pain999

Using Mandrake 10.0 Official and it was working really nice up to now. I don't think it is a hardware problem cause I dual boot with Windows XP and it works fine.

When I boot the computer everything looks normal up to the point it should start KDE, now I just get a blue screen instead. I do a Crtl-Alt-F3 or F5 and can log in to user or root, but when I try to StartX I get this very strange error.

Server is already active for display 0

If the server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.xo-lock and start again.

Xlib: connection to "0.0" refused by server

Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-Cookie-1 key

giving up. :oops:

Xinit: unable to connect to X server

Xinit: No such process (errno 3) server error

:help:

i had the same thing happen to me just a couple of days ago, i had to go in and remove kde and reinstall it using the urpme and the urpmi commands, there are some steps in the topic "I THINK I KILLED KDE 3.2" leme guess, is it right when the login screen is supposed to come up? and the mouse is there but it is an "X" instead of a pointer? ( i tried leaving it overnight once like that on the blue screen, and when i woke up, i was in KDE) Do you have it on auto login?

Ctrl+Alt+F2

login as root

service dm stop

logout as root

login as user

startx

could be a corrupt session saved, in which case;

rm -fR ~/.kde

will take care of it.

If it's a screwed up dm, either don't use autologin (if you are) or;

ckconfig dm off

and you may need to edit /etc/inittab and change;

id:5:initdefault:

to

id:3:initdefault:

this will enable you to use

startx

or

install Xtart (urpmi Xtart) and use

Xtart

Edited by bvc

more than likely your xfree86config file is totally corrupted. i have seen this before, since it has happened to me. what i had to do was delete the xfree86config file and use XFdrake to rebuild the file.

ok i know that.... what i did is first i tried about 10 times to log on, as soon as i got to that screen wait about 5mins if nothing happens, shut the computer off by holding the power button to crash it, then when linux is loading again, do the file system check, then let it come to that screen again, if your WM does not come up then leave it like that, shut your monitor off and leave it overnight, (this is what i did) and when i woke up in the morning, to my suprise i found that KDE was up and running with the screensaver. once i got there, i shut off auto login (i believe that is what caused the crash) and then made sure i had everything updated, then i ended my session and then the login screen was there, logged back in and then restarted my comp and everything has worked fine!!! hope that works for you too :) (it is a very unorthodox method, but it worked for me)

I have NEVER ever used Auto-login and from what I read here and in other threads that was a wise choice.

Sometimes my instincts serve me well. Other times.......well..............

Cheers. John.

Sometimes kde really loaded slowly for me ... maybe that is your problem?

What solved it for me, is going to a virtual terminal( ctrl+alt+F1) or another desktop-environment , login, ... and remove everything IN my Autostart-folder (<your homeDirectory>/.kde/Autostart) ...

After this kde loaded quickly again.