urpmi vs apt

i understand this thread is about urpmi vs mcc?? since i'm very new to all of this, the last time i had my system i didn't understand that mcc was urpmi but with a gui, so i went through all the hassle of "setting it up". However, since i had to reinstall the Man 10.1 again, i thought i'd check and found this wonderful thread. i haven't seen how to add more sources through the MCC. Is there a way? i think that is why i resorted to urpmi the last time. All the choices MCC offers me are the 3 CDs that i burnt. Can you guys helpl out with this? Thanks! and have a nice evening! :D

You use the Media Manager (decide where apps can be installed from /or something like that).

Open that, and choose add. You will then have another window open and at the top you will see what type of source...like... local, ftp, http, removeable media etc...

If you use a mandriva mirror, you shouldn't have to specify the path to the hdlist. Urpmi knows where to look and will find it. Else, the mirror is not configured correctly. So just copy and paste the url.

examples for ML-LE 2005.....

ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Li...i586/media/main

ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Li...6/media/contrib

ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Li...drake/free/2005

If this doesn't help...let us know!

I like apt more than urpmi for a simple reason:

I have slow Internet and apt updates way quicker than urpmi. Unless I use systhesized hdlists, which don't have all the cool information I like.

But then I use portage at home :P Go figure!

Any packagemanger will do that if you TELL IT to do it. Sometimes it is painless, sometimes it will result in "My brain hurts!!!" (Monty Python)

"I use an aftershave, called Semprini!!!"

• 2 months later...