XMMS install problem

Sherpa

ok i have found that it plays cds just fine but no type of file (aka wave, wma, mp3, etc) on their site they say that 1.2.10 is supposed to fix that

XMMS 1.2.10 has been released. This release fixes a bug that could cause programs that control xmms to abort, and some other minor issues.

so i dont understand. Should i submit a bugzilla report, does anyone out there have XMMS? what version do you use? has it ever abnormally terminated when it tried to play mp3? :screwy::help::wall:

i didnt, i uninstalled those, and installed the ones you gave me, the mdk 1.2.10

on the message where you said follow these steps, i went and did exactly that and it still crashes and will not let me play mp3s, i have all the packages that you said to have

[david@localhost david]$ rpm -qa | grep xmms
xmms-1.2.10-1mdk
xmms-diskwriter-1.2.10-1mdk
xmms-smpeg-0.3.5-3mdk
xmms-cdread-0.14a-4mdk
libxmms1-1.2.10-1mdk
[david@localhost david]$

Edited by Sherpa

Sherpa: Sorry for being late, but I had internet conection issues last night.

Have you tried to load xmms through terminal in order to see the error messages? Where are your mp3 files stored? BTW: I didn't have any mp3 plugin installed here and everything work smoothly.

If you are able to play cd's, we can discard any problem with i/o plugin, cause you soundcard was properly recognised by xmms.

yes, my sound card works fine with it,

my mp3s are on my other harddrive, and Noatun (another program) can play them all..

no i have not run the program from a terminal, what command do i issue ( do i navigate to /usr/bin/xmms-orwhatever the name of the xmms executable is?

ok this is strange i opened from the terminal, navigated to /usr/bin then i typed xmms,

this started XMMS, then i open an mp3, and clicked play and everything worked great, sound, everything, Nothing crashed, so i closed that, then i clicked on the shortcut in the start menu (i dont know what you call it so i had to use the windows name) xmms opened up, i clicked to the same mp3 file and added it to the play list, and xmms crashed? this is vodoo!!!!!! i will try to create a new link on my desktop to /usr/bin/xmms

ok i made a new link on my desktop to /usr/bin/xmms and it works great wav and mp3 work fine, i am going to go see what the link was to in the startmenu

ok i took a snapshot of it, on the left is the start menu link properties, on the right is my link, what is the diff? (the diff is that mine works :lol2: )

post-10-1085500437.ibf

Sherpa,

the difference is that your link starts xmms with the command: xmms, the other one with: soundwrapper xmms.

You have found the solution for a xmms/soundwrapper bug on your own - this bug and the solution is known ;-) but hey, congrats !