Mozilla Firefox vs IE

null

Since I dumped IE on my win2k probably around 5 or 6 months ago, I've noticed a few things.

I had previously used IE since version 3 or 4 or whatever.

One of the main differences I notice is that I don't collect as much spyware with Mozilla as I used to with IE. Even though when I used to use IE, I always had it set on "Do not accept 3rd party cookies" - after a couple weeks browsing, and then running the latest AdAware, I always had some spyware.

After using Mozilla for a while now, even though I go to all the same places that I used to - every time I run AdAware it reports "No spyware found"

I also like the tabbed browsing in Mozilla. Of course, MS will probably institute that sometime too, and act like they invented it.

I just like mozilla better in all ways.

Edited by null

mozilla also has a built-in pop-up blocking feature, which totally kicks butt.

I don't fully agree with that. It's very nice, but I really miss an option to 'allow all popups from this website/domain' or something similar. E.g. when I get a private message on MUSB, the popup blocker gives me an option to allow it and ALL OTHER popups coming from www.mandrakeusers.org domain.

you don't have that? i have that option in mozilla-firefox....did they take it out of regular mozilla?

Tools -> Options -> Web Features in Firefox....I can't imagine they'd take it out of mozilla.

mozilla also has a built-in pop-up blocking feature, which totally kicks butt.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I knew there were other things about mozilla firefox that I liked better than IE, I just couldn't remember every one.

I think FireFox might well become the number one alternative browser in the coming year. There are, of course, always those die-hard Mozilla fans ;)

Surprisingly (or not), it really seems to help when the app has both a Linux and Windows version, so you can use the same programs on Linux and Win, e.g. OpenOffice, Gaim, Mozilla/FireFox, the Zinf, LimeWire, ...

Anyway, it's nice for a change to hear a positive sign which is, kind of, undeniable.

Oh yeah, and if you want even less spyware and virii, get rid of OutLook (also known as 'LookOut!') and check out Mozilla Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Works very nice with FireFox as well...

Edit: by the way, do you know of FireFox's 'find links as you type' function? Jus type the first letter of a link you are looking for and FireFox will locate it for you if it exists! I cannot do without it anymore!

Edited by Darkelve

yeah, at the same time I put firefox on my win2k machine, I also put thunderbird email - which I also like WAY better than OE. Plus it imported all my OE mail & everything - so it was very easy & convenient to change over. The only thing MS left on my machine is the win2k - besides that its firebox, thunderbird, open office, nero, and some freeware for dvd burning.

When I get my new linux box built (I ran out of money) I can start learning CD burning, DVD burning (if possible), and then can dump Nero also (although I do like Nero very much).

i used mozilla firefox on mandrake 9.2, first off because i thought netscape was way too bulky. after a few hours of using it i was hooked, it was faster than my other browsers and had a great overall feel to it.

being the kind of person i am, i decided to test firefox against IE on my other computer (athlon 850, 256 DDR, 40g hdd, XP pro) needless to say firefox ate it alive!!

all thats needed now is for more people to use firefox and M$ will be have a big run for their money.

as for thunderbird as prementioned, again kicked the living **** out of outlook/outlook express

i could (like most linux users) rant on about how much linux kicks ass, but theres no need, we all know this!!

garf

I use Opera/Firefox/Konqueror at home (and IE at work)

I can honestly say ALL of them are better than IE.

I like Opera and its FAST... Faster than Firefox for me.... but I find so much i like in them all....and they ALL have tabbed browsing and popup blockers etc. EXCEPT IE.

Honest guys...there's some serious competition between thee 3 but IE is so far behind ....its in a different race!

I think FireFox might well become the number one alternative browser in the coming year. There are, of course, always those die-hard Mozilla fans

Firefox WILL be the mozilla browser within a year - thats the intention of the mozilla team as a whole.

I just downloaded the nightly and it owns!!!

it has got a cool new theme viewer, new extension manager, and the base theme has had heaps of touch ups, seems to better support GTK themes, has the usual spate of engine improvements and cool new features.

Tarball here:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...gtk2+xft.tar.gz