DVD+R burning under Linux

zero0w

I have searched the forum a bit but due to lack of time I want to ask directly about DVD burning under Linux:

1) Can K3B support burning DVD iso (like the new Fedora Core 2) in Mandrake 9.2 out of the box?

I am still going thru the DVD+RW/+R/-R[W] for Linux page, do I need to download some other utility to burn DVD+R?

2) Is there any difference in the procedure required in burning DVD+R vs DVD-R?

3) Do I need to patch the 9.2 Mdk Kernel (2.4.22 I think) to support DVD+R / DVD + RW (my LiteOn writer does not support Mount Raisner :( ) ?

4) How's the status of UDF support (in CD-RW) in the latest Kernel now?

I need to test my DVD writer before the 7-day replacement period (if anything broken) expires. So I really appreciate your help, thanks..

Update:

5) Bitsetting works on Windows, does it work on Linux as well?

Edited by zero0w

Ok, I have done some more reading and here's what I found:

1) No.

K3b only began to support dvd+rw-tools in version 0.10, while Mandrake 9.2 still came with K3b 0.9, so it is not working out of the box and one needs to update and install the relevant packages.

Probably Mandrake 10 CE/OE would have K3b 0.10 or later version already.

2) Yes and no.

dvd+rw-tools can burn DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW,

while dvdrecord or cdrecord-ProDVD can only burn DVD-R/RW.

3, 4) Still looking for answers.... :help:

Any input or comment is truly appreciated.

By the way, here's the information I found out about my LiteOn LDW-401S DVD writer and a few commands for DVD burning. Hope this will help others searching for solution to similar problems:

DVD Burning with Lite-On's LDW-401S

http://www.linuxhardware.org/features/03/0...6/1734224.shtml

Mass Storage Devices (DVD Writer)

http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Mas..._Storage0.shtml

I would have answered but i didn't have an answer earlier. i will look into 3 and 4, but i do know that Mandrake 10 OE supports DVD writing OOB with k3b (i have a dvd burner, it works)

of course, video dvd writing doesn't seem to exist yet. :(

of course, video dvd writing doesn't seem to exist yet

are you saying that you can't backup a dvd movie under linux?? or just k3b?

It's something I occasionally do under windoze, and I'd like to be able to do under linux. I haven't really researched it yet, but I was under the impression that it could be done.

Edited by null

AFAIK, due to laws regarding DVD formats, no one has created a way to do this in linux. we all saw what happened to the kid who came out with a reversed engineered way of playing dvd's....he got sued, I believe.

It is insane, but, what do you expect from the MPAA?? They don't get the fact that most of the piracy of DVD movies is done in Windows.

I would gladly pay for a Linux version of Powerlink DVD.

zero0w: Can't k3b 0.10 work on 9.2? If so, I know DVD+RW works with it. I installed MDK on my laptop with a DVD+RW disk burned using k3b.

(3) If you use the dvd+/-rw-tools (growisofs), you won't need to patch the default 9.2 kernel. I truly believe you won't have to patch the kernel for k3b 0.10 to work either. I think it uses growisofs.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

> zero0w: Can't k3b 0.10 work on 9.2?

> If so, I know DVD+RW works with it.

> I installed MDK on my laptop with a DVD+RW disk burned using k3b.

Thanks. I was wondering if K3b DVD+R burning works out of the box for Mdk 9.2.

It's not since you need to upgrade the K3b package manually online, although you can locate the rpm for dvd+rw-tools in Disc 3 of mdk 9.2.

I'll try to update K3b later and see if it works. Thanks.

Edited by zero0w

From personal experience MDK 9.2 does not support DVD+R/RW writing out of the box, alhtough the drive was detected and worked as a CD+RW without any modifications. To get K3B to burn DVDs I just had to get a couple of updates and add ons. MDK 10 had all the packages on the install CD, but I think there now some updates availavle.

Last time I heard UDF and the DVD+RAM format were still in the experimental stages. Personnally I would avoid using either whether there were finished drivers or not.

Edited by mtweidmann

I thought you could just put a dvd-rw or so in yoru computer and just use the copy, ..commands since (rw) is just like a filesystem... You have to format it ofcourse first ....

Any comments on this?

I wrote a video-dvd with growisofs. You can make video-dvd's using linux ... make menu's, .... Gui's for this are still rare, but everything can be handled from commandline :). Maybe you're not a commandline-person :). The control over encoding, ... is quite great to my opinion ....

Michel.

There are file-systems like UDF which allow you to use re-writable disks like a hard drive partition, and that was meant to be the big selling point of RAM disks. However you have to have the appropriate kernel drivers installed for this to work, and to the best of my knowledge they are still experimental.

Video DVD wise, I think what they meant was that there were no/few tools for directly copying a DVD to a DVD+R. I think there are options in the latest version of K3B to make video DVDs, but I haven't tried it.

From personal experience MDK 9.2 does not support DVD+R/RW writing out of the box, alhtough the drive was detected and worked as a CD+RW without any modifications. To get K3B to burn DVDs I just had to get a couple of updates and add ons. MDK 10 had all the packages on the install CD, but I think there now some updates availavle.

Can you explain a little more what updates would I need to get MDK 9.2 to burn DVD+R?

I knew K3b and dvd+rw-tools needs update/to be installed, anything else?