A little advice on my new ftp server

kmc77

I'm not really sure where I should have put this post - Maybe networking (But it really doesn't go there either)

Anyway, I just wanted a little advice on this FTP server that I have set up. (BTW - thanks to all who helped to get it working)

Everyting is up and running fine. No problems logging in, downloading or uploading. Since this is the first one of these that I have set up, I don't know what to expect as far as DL and UL speeds.

Right now UL is averaging 13kbps. This seems a little slow to me, but, again, I really don't know what to expect. Although, my buddy is averaging 30kbps (he's in Korea, and I understand it's broadband heaven over there)

Here's some pert. info.:

P4 - 1.8Ghz

256M mem.

MDK 10.0 CE

ADSL connection (Right now, no firewall or router)

Using Proftp, with GProftpd as a frontend

I have my max UL and DL speeds set at 45kbps

Someone suggested that my provider may cap my UL speed. I haven't contacted them to verify.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions that might help improve the 13kbps? (other than "get a T1") :lol:

Edited by kmc77

Heres my experance with FTP and what not... I had the same issue with DSL ..... I had pacbell, Covad, SBC and then a small out fit in where i lived in San diego Ca... I had to purchase a higher up load and also to make sure that it was NOT PPPoE. My download was 1.5 and up was as little as 128 and high as 256... IT still was not that good in either case. I had to one tweak the server and FTPd settings and cut some services. I know this was not what you were looking for but thats my two cents. By the way Covad was the best DSL service i had ever had... But to save money i had to get cable. :wall:

Call your DSL company and try to get in contact with the switching station.

I was averaging about 70-80k downloads for about 2 years. When it dropped to 40k for about 2 months I called to find the problem. Here is what we did:

First he told me to run a brand new line from the outside box to my router (computer). Disconnect everything else and call back via cell phone.

When I called back he kept raising my bandwith until it toped off. It was downloading at 180K a second :thumbs:

So then I would reconnect one line at a time in my house and rerun the line test (www.dslreports.com). When I hit my kitchen phone it dropped to 40k a sec. I found the main problem. Ran a new line to the kitchen and I now average 165k a sec.

So my advise. Check your phone lines. Also How old is the line from your box to the pole? If its old it sould somehow "break" thus need to be replaced.