Space Hog

Running Slack current and I have a space hog in my /home dir. Here is what I have.......

/dev/hda3 9.8G 9.8G 6.6M 100% /home

Here is whats in my /home and how big it is.

joe@laptop:~$ du -cks * | sort -rn | head -n 11

1068153 total

944729 games

48699 looks

37750 music

9835 pics

8419 Mail

6132 website

5153 downloads

4130 wireless

1911 OpenOffice.org1.1.1

1333 evolution

That alone is just a little over a 1 gig. Where or what could be happening to the other 8 something gigs?

Thanks to ac_dispatcher too for the cli for the second part.

FX

Ok I just went to the windows side and using PM 8 robbed 7 gigs from the windows parition. Now that is coming up "unallocated" and according to cfdisk I can't use it. "Unusable" it says.

I think I am in a pretty rough spot. Not really looking forward to a reinstall again. :(

FX

I couldn't find anything using your command or the du -h command either. I further screwed it up by trying to use PM8 to put the unallocated space back to the Windows parition. At that point I screwed up Lilo so it wouldn't boot. I tried to use my Toshiba restore disc and that didn't fix the mbr. So I tried to use my copy of XP Pro, well it got as far as "Startup" and then it quit. Probably a hardware issue, have the same problems with the wifes, have to remove the vid card.

Anyways I just decided to put in the Slack install cd's, cfdisk, removed all of the windows parition. Reparitioned for linux only with my /home having 40 gigs this time and root having around 18 gigs. I think that might work?????? As long as the wife doesn't mind a Linux only Laptop I'll get to live.

:jester:

FX

Edited by FX

i would bet you get a real quick BSOD. the error code is probably 0x0000000024. if so then the NTFS.DRV loaded twice on bootup. this is what happened to me, except i wasnt playing with the partitions. basically the NTFS filesystem is hosed. the only fix is fdisk and reinstall. before going that dramatical though, pull out the XP pro cd and go into the recovery console and see if the recovery console will read the windows partition. if it can, run chkdsk -r and -f. then run fixmbr. that might work (if your lucky). otherwise get a livecd and see if linux can read the filesystem.