Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official packs are available!

Guest anon

Guest anon
Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official packs are available!

The new Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official range of packs is now available!

Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official offers you all the greatest

Mandrakelinux features in a professional package which includes

documentation and support, as well as valuable commercial add-ons.

Purchase your Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official Pack by ordering today at

http://www.Mandrakestore.com

Select from the new Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official range of products:

- Discovery 10.0: The ideal entry point to a first Linux desktop.

Ideal for beginners and users migrating from Windows

- PowerPack 10.0: The ultimate Linux desktop. Perfect for those who

need the full power of Office, Multimedia and Internet plus

development tools on their Linux desktop

- PowerPack+ 10.0 (formerly ProSuite): An affordable Linux solution

for desktops and servers, which includes Kolab as a complete

integrated groupware solution!

The full new range of Mandrakelinux 10.0 packs is described at:

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/10

Mandrakesoft Online Team.

Do you mean US$ or A$ or something else? From memory, the Disco pack was US$49, the Powerpack was US$89 (or US$59 without the manual), and the Powerpack+ was.... a little more than that :woops:

Funny thing is, this doesn't seem to differ whether I chose Oz or US. Maybe that jsut changes the shipping rates?

In any case, it's a helluva lot cheaper than Windoze, isn't it???

Yea tyme I should have reread that. It does sound a little okay a lot :screwy:

What I mean is that the pack are like over a hundred dollars. Indeed some like 200 or so. Isn't that what some linux users complain about about MS?

Seems like I have heard that complaint.

Yea, i mean it's not like you can download Linux legally for free or anything... :juggle:

I realize that you can dowload it for free. But how the heck do they think they are going to make money if that is possible. Understand folks I am completely new to Linux. Also (please don't burn me at the stake or anything) I am not a MS hater like some folks. I do believe they have done some things wrong, but. Anyway I may have seen the wrong prices. I can go get Windows XP for about 100 us. Just about 50 more than the linux by your prices. Or I can have Windows (so they say) for free when I buy a computer with it on there.

"oh god please don't let heathen ole me be burned by the holy linux users! I pray to you have mercy on my soul"

Just kidding folks! :cheeky:

Just about 50 more than the linux by your prices. Or I can have Windows (so they say) for free when I buy a computer with it on there.

50 dollars more for a OS, which doesnt include a word processor, firewall, blah, blah, blah..

well you get the drift. ;)

ciao!

if you buy a windows OS for $99, thats all you get. just the OS. XP came with "word pad". no office. the "firewall" in XP, i wouldnt trust. the cd burning in XP doesnt do iso's. its a verry limited burner. no antivirus. just the OS. if you buy all this stuff, the prices add up and fast. cd burning software.....$50. macaffee or norton suites ......$100 (aproximately). firewall......$50. Microsoft Office......$500.

linux on the other hand, includes all this standard. even on the download edition. the reason the packs are so expensive are a few reasons. 1) product support. 2) manuals. 3) comercial software (like vmware. granted vmware is a demo, but vmware runs $300).

btw XP at $99 is XP home edition upgrade. the XP home edition full, is $199. the difference between the two? upgrade requires you to have a previous version of windows. if its on the harddrive, fine you can use that. but, what happens if you need to format and reinstall? the upgrade will ask for a previous version of windows and the manufacturers restore cd's wont work.

Edited by linux_learner

if you buy a windows OS for $99, thats all you get. just the OS. XP came with "word pad". no office. the "firewall" in XP, i wouldnt trust. the cd burning in XP doesnt do iso's. its a verry limited burner. no antivirus. just the OS. if you buy all this stuff, the prices add up and fast. cd burning software.....$50. macaffee or norton suites ......$100 (aproximately). firewall......$50. Microsoft Office......$500.

linux on the other hand, includes all this standard. even on the download edition. the reason the packs are so expensive are a few reasons. 1) product support. 2) manuals. 3) comercial software (like vmware. granted vmware is a demo, but vmware runs $300).

btw XP at $99 is XP home edition upgrade. the XP home edition full, is $199. the difference between the two? upgrade requires you to have a previous version of windows. if its on the harddrive, fine you can use that. but, what happens if you need to format and reinstall? the upgrade will ask for a previous version of windows and the manufacturers restore cd's wont work.

I totally agree. For the price you pay (if you do not download it free... which is entirely legal) you get so much more for your money. Multiple picture or video viewers, MP3 players, Office-like productivity apps. web browsers, file managers, utilities, the list goes on and on..............

The hassle factor is the steep learning curve when you are a n00b. It can get frustrating. I started with Red Hat and dumped it almost immediately. Came back to Mandrake and spent some time getting to kno wthe system, reading books, etc. Now, it is the system that I use almost exclusively. The only reason I turn on Windows (and I have three computers with Windows XP on them) is that I have to use it to write in a similar file format as stuff at work. That's it.

And with all of these freakin' viruses and trojans gong around, Mandrake fits the bill nicely.

Barney

The only reason I turn on Windows (and I have three computers with Windows XP on them) is that I have to use it to write in a similar file format as stuff at work. That's it.

thats it? what about open office?

sitor... that works for ME :D

barneyt....

If your willing to pay the linuxant driver wrapper is pretty good.

It just worked for me after playing about trying to get free madwifi etc working. :D

Money.... hmm your a bit stuck perhaps. however I used to run vmware (but its pretty expensive to buy). Lets you run windows inside of Linux if you really have apps you cant drop :D.