1 DVD from 3 MDK 10CE iso's

VILLA21

I have used the script on 10.0 ce. I think that I followed the intructions word for word and it worked fine for me. The only thing is that once you have it installed it sees the dvd as really one disk with 3 disks worth of data on it. (It still calls for disk1, disk2, disk3).

It's actually quite easy:

Check the md5sums for all your isos.

mkdir /mnt/iso

mkdir /etc/mdk10

mount -o loop /path/to/iso.iso /mnt/iso

cp -R /mnt/iso/* /etc/mdk10

umount /mnt/iso

(repeat for each iso)

cd /etc/

mdk10/misc/MakeCD --discsize 4700000000 -t /etc -i /etc -a /etc/mdk10

(you can do mdk10/misc/MakeCD --help to see all that you can do here)

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

I have used the script on 10.0 ce. I think that I followed the intructions word for word and it worked fine for me. The only thing is that once you have it installed it sees the dvd as really one disk with 3 disks worth of data on it. (It still calls for disk1, disk2, disk3).

ah ok, i think ill try it then when i get the time, btw do you know if its possible to include the latest updates (lets say as an aditional cd on the dvd)? I suppose you can include as many cds as you like, isnt it? would be nice to have everything on the dvd and i think there is space left...

----Added afterwards: -----

Hi Steve, we posted at the same time!. Ive done s/t similar to what you propose but the problem is that the resulting DVD wont be bootable, is there a way to make it bootable or is it just imposible to boot from a DVD ???

Thanks.

Edited by feralertx

You can add another directory in the tree for the updates if you want and use genhdlist while in that directory and copy the files genhdlist creates to /top-of-directory/Mandrake/base (giving them unique names of course) before running my above commands. Don't know if it will work with the Redhat script.

----Added afterwards: -----

Hi Steve, we posted at the same time!. Ive done s/t similar to what you propose but the problem is that the resulting DVD wont be bootable, is there a way to make it bootable or is it just imposible to boot from a DVD ???

Thanks.

I have done my steps exactly for at least 3 DVDs at different times, all of which have been bootable. I used k3b 0.11.6cvs -> Tools -> DVD -> Burn DVD ISO image

Is it possible that it is your burning method that is the trouble?

• 4 weeks later...

I also wondered if i could put all 3 mdk10 official isos on one dvd using "roxio easy cd/dvd creator" in windows.... is this likely to work? and be bootable? - the machine i want to install mdk onto uses the dvd drive as boot....

or will i make more beermats, earrings, bird scarers... the list is almost endless.

It won't work. One iso is one disk image, including the boot sector, so you can only burn one at a time, after which the disk will be closed. The method for burning iso's is usually DAO, which does not allow additional sessions.

By the way, I also tried the script and it failed. I will try again when I get a chance.

Edited by somedude

the script worked fine for me, but I believe you need to change some stuff in it. I'll check it when I get home and see if I made any changes. I believe it needs to be run as root, IIRC.