Another Nooby needs help here

kaiocool

it was working a few monthes ago, why isnt it working now?

You need to reinstall video drivers after every kernel upgrade. Don't think you did that, just saying that would be normal. Or possibly you booted off the install CD trying to fix things and that screwed with X ? Reconfigure the X server and these guys will be able to help you to get back up and running.

My tip for newbies... stick to installing "RPM" files and also... Just about anything you really need - is on your install CD's (or urpmi and Mandrake sources, which needs to be configured). Anything else, is probably asking for trouble.

i dont think I have updated kernel, and there is the possibility of tring to fix off a cd, although i doubt it, because the only problem i was having was the NIC driver... I may have done something... But I doubt it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kiacool i have had this problem before. although i was in mandrake at the time. X just did not want to restart. the problem turned out that some how my x configuration file got corrupted. i had to delete it, then run XFdrake. linux is cap sensitive.

well

ok i can get to the files that i need to install through gnome or kde, gnome easier. In KDE when I attempt to install, it says binaries cannot be executed. In gnome I get Files already installed. So in gnome I got ot MCC, and I go to NICs and I go through the configure tool. So when I see a list, well, I dont know what to choose. I choose nvnet, that seems reasonable, NVidia networking... but I dont know. But I dont think its working.... thanks for the help so far.

Try going into MCC and selecting the Networking option and set up your network from there. It should be pretty straightforward. Make sure you click on the checkbox that says "Expert Mode" as that gives you more configuration choice. Most people, however, will be able to just click Next through the whole thing. At the end, make sure you restart the network.

I have used the same Mainboard and don't remember having to install anyother drivers for it . Remember you are using Mandrake and not Windows this time. The only time you have to be concerned with additional drivers is for Video cards mostly and some modems.

If everything is working OK then you don't need extra drivers.

Welcome to the Wonderful world of Mandrake-Linux.

Cheers. John.

Linux (like all unixes) is case sensitive. I'm not sure what the command actually is, but try different things with different cases. If you hit tab after entering a couple of characters then the command will be completed for you - if it's on the path...

well I am just getting pissed off now, I tried getting the wheel on my mouse to work through harddrake, and now my mouse wont work. Still cant get sound to work... UGH. And I have realized, that my linux has never realized that I am using a Radeon, because if I try to set XFdrake that way, it doesnt work. So, I think I might upgrade. How do I go about thaT?/

Some times the mousetool in mcc doesn't do its job. Sounds like you will need to edit the file manually to get the wheel to work again.

Using your favorite text editer, open up /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

find the ref to your mouse, and make it look like this:

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse1"
   Driver "mouse"
   Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
   Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
   Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
   Option "Buttons" "5"
EndSection

As always, may be a good idea to make a backup before touching this file.