Another Nooby needs help here

kaiocool

I am pretty windows saavy but when it comes to Linux, I am lost in the desert.

Story:

Have XP

Set Up dual boot with Mandrake Linux(9 I believe)

Was able to get to GUI

Wasnt able to set up driver for internet(most important thinG)

New problem:

After a long time, I am trying to get back to trying to use linux, but I cant.

I got whats the equivalent of a command line, and I do not know how to get to the GUI. is it xstart, if so, i didnt work, it sputtered some thing, and had RADEON(my gfx card on the left).

So i guess I need to know how to get back to the gui, and then how to set up my network card. Its built into my MOBO, Asus Nforce2 Delux

And any other helpful tips for this poor noob would help alot. You know, how the hell to download and install stuff, If i ever get that far, and other stuff that you think i may need.

Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, to get your ethernet card working, download the nforce drrvers from nvidia to a spot you will know where they are.

When you get to that text-mode login, log in with your username and password then type

startx

That should launch the X gui.

From there, you can install your nforce drivers. Open a terminal and su to root like so:

$ su <enter>
<enter your root password>
#

Note that you don't enter the '$' or the '#', those just denote the user prompt from the root prompt.

cd to where you downloaded the drivers in Windows. I'll assume it was C:\temp for our purposes here:

# cd /mnt/win_c/temp <enter>

Then you will need to install the driver. Do this by typing:

# sh driverfilename <enter>

If you don't remember the filename, just type the first letter (case sensitive, remember) and hit the Tab key. That will show you all available files starting with that letter in the current directory.

After you get that done, you can go into the Mandrake Control Center (it's in your menu) and go into Hardware -> Harddrake. Your network card should be listed there and you should be able to click on it, then click on the configure tool to get your internet working.

it was working a few monthes ago, why isnt it working now?

You need to reinstall video drivers after every kernel upgrade. Don't think you did that, just saying that would be normal. Or possibly you booted off the install CD trying to fix things and that screwed with X ? Reconfigure the X server and these guys will be able to help you to get back up and running.

My tip for newbies... stick to installing "RPM" files and also... Just about anything you really need - is on your install CD's (or urpmi and Mandrake sources, which needs to be configured). Anything else, is probably asking for trouble.

it was working a few monthes ago, why isnt it working now?

You need to reinstall video drivers after every kernel upgrade. Don't think you did that, just saying that would be normal. Or possibly you booted off the install CD trying to fix things and that screwed with X ? Reconfigure the X server and these guys will be able to help you to get back up and running.

My tip for newbies... stick to installing "RPM" files and also... Just about anything you really need - is on your install CD's (or urpmi and Mandrake sources, which needs to be configured). Anything else, is probably asking for trouble.

AMEN