null

Is either one better with linux ?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Is either one better with linux ?

• VIA chipsets are less hassle under linux
    • nForce chipsets are better under linux
    • doesn\'t matter - both work great under linux

Used my nForce2 board with mdk 9.1,9.2,10.0 CE and now 10.0 OE

Only had a little time installing the drivers for 9.1 (as at the time the rpm from nVidia for 9.1 wasnt out) but once i did everythign worked ok.

Never had any freezing problems (nor in Windows)

From all my experience the nForce2 chipset is definately the best performing chipset (check out the mem bandwidth with something like Goldmemory) and also the best for overclocking.

Just in Linux the sound isnt the best (only one voice at a time can use the onboard sound, even with ALSA :( )

Null, if you are thinking in terms of a newer distro, maybe an Athlon 64?? SuSE 9.1 Pro comes with both 32 bit and 64 bit, though you will need a DVD drive to install the 64 bit version (64 bit is on one double sided DVDROM).

Null, if you are thinking in terms of a newer distro, maybe an Athlon 64?? SuSE 9.1 Pro comes with both 32 bit and 64 bit, though you will need a DVD drive to install the 64 bit version (64 bit is on one double sided DVDROM).

AFAIK there is a Mandrake 10 for 64bit. Gentoo also has a 64bit version (as should most of the bigger distros by now).

AFAIK there is a Mandrake 10 for 64bit. Gentoo also has a 64bit version (as should most of the bigger distros by now).

which begs the question (except $$$) why not go for AMD64 NOW!

which begs the question (except $$$) why not go for AMD64 NOW!

A question which faced me at the beginning of this year. I eventually decided to go with a AMD AthlonXP 2500+ for the following reasons:

- Price (less than a third of the price)

- No applications fully utilise it (I don't play too many games and speeding up my Gentoo compiles isn't worth the price)

- The price will come down VERY quickly (they already cost a hell of a lot less than they did two months ago)

Moral of (my) story: Buy a cheap top-of-the-line 32bit now and buy a 64bit at the end of the year. Money wise it makes the most sense (to me).

which kernel ????

Mine worked with vanilla mdk but not enterprise mdk...

it worked with all the deb kernels I tried .. actually the only kernels it didnt work with were recompiled MDK vanilla with 4GB or the MDK enterprise...

bizarre but that was my impression.

Well, as with any piece of hardware,  they work best when you have compiled a well-researched kernel specifically for them.

Really?

How so?

Mine works the same whether compiled or not.

:unsure:

Works better WITH LINUX - you clown! :P

We should start a rule on the board where you have to explicitly say when you are joking... uh, you are joking right? :cheeky:

I think I decided on the amd xp2800+ , which has the barton core. Cheap, and enough guts for what I do at home. Sorry, Gowator, I know you are big on the amd 64...

I was asking about mobos & chipsets cause I am wanting something that works great "out of the box" - don't want to mess with compiling kernels, messing with drivers, blah blah.

I'm too old & lazy for that stuff anymore...

Then there is the 4 Way Opteron mobo that I saw in the lastest Linux Journal (next month's): 4 Opterons, 8 GB RAM per CPU (32 GB total). Each cpu has its own RAM bank of 4 DDR (4 x 2GB) slots. No AGP, builtin 8 MB video. Well, it is a server board.

I saw that and immediately thought: Render Node!

/me drools uncontrollably all over mandrakeusers.org :D