Why Linux users hate RedHat

ral

Well, I don't like that they (well, Szulik) said the following:

1) if you want a cool desktop, MicroSoft has just got THE product for you.

2) Yes we would really like to be MS, who wouldn't?

My answer: I. And if the company I work for starts with that kind of tactics, I will quit.

Also, they did a bunch of backflips each time they saw SUSE and Mandrake move into corporate space since they are easier to use/administer distros, they just said, ok, we will do desktop.

Due to RH not pulling through on desktops, being the only distro with enough influence and momentum, you got it: the general linux desktop and laptop still keeps us waiting.

The only thing holding back desktop linux is the fact that it is just not being put on desktops enough and marketed as such.

Apart from that, RH employs plenty of very good developers, and all this work goes back to the FLOSS community.

So, RH is a FLOSS player, they unfortunatly don't do as much as some might hope. The same can be said about IBM - raking in the big bucks, but no ibm laptops with preloaded linux..?!!

Since Novell took over SUSE, I don't think that RH can ever become the MS of FLOSS anymore (as far as that would be possible at all), so no worries there.

Note: that RH stated that Linux was not desktop ready really did slow things down where I work... So yes, this did have a 'negative' influence on my situation, that I luckily remedied lately ;)

Whether or not one agrees with the article is irrelevant. In fact, there needs to be more articles about linux, desktops, who's who, who's saying the wrong things, who's in, who's out, etc.

Marketing lessons in retail

Sears was the number one retailer for many years, including major appliances. Small dealer would locate far away from Seras in order to try to stay in business, a strategy that was just plain wrong. A few appliance dealers decided to not only locate next door to every Sears store that they could, they created a "price war" image in order to attract attention. The price war was not with Sears, but with the other little guys. This worked quite well. Sears is no longer number one, and now there are several major appliance retailers in the US.

So, all the linux distros are necessary to attract attention away from microstibbles, and a healthy competition among them merely aids in that process. There needs to be more articles about anything and everything linux. Red Hat hurt no one; they contributed to the cause, which is the toppling of a monopolistic over-rated over-achiever, Microstrutters. B)

• 2 weeks later...

i read the article mentioned in this thread and pretty much have to agree. but this......this gets me. this maybe one reason people "hate" redhat. http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,...39116741,00.htm

now dont get me wrong, i do, and have recomended windows for some people. and there might be "some" advantages of windows over linux (eg. gaming). what i do is i find out what a person is looking for in their pc. then make my recomendation, and go over the pros and cons. of all options (windows, mac, linux).

i would never do as the ceo of redhat has done and flatly recomend windows over linux.

the ceo talks about drivers

"I would argue that from the device-driver standpoint and perhaps some of the other traditional functionality, for that classic consumer purchaser, it is my view that [Linux] technology needs to mature a little bit more."

ok. lets look at my box. my box is a compaq pressario 5000US. ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformati...000_rev3_us.pdf the only thing that is not compatible with linux, is the pctel modem. of which there is a pctel driver. http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/

only one thing in my box was incompatible with linux and it has a driver. that kinda shows up redhat ceo's statement.

also most of the device drivers are that are incompatible with linux were designed specifically for windows and are closed source. this is not the fault of linux. it is also true that linux provides more drivers than windows. with windows you may need the devices cd or get the driver off the net. just by shear numbers liux has more drivers.

:wall::wall::wall::angry::devil: :deal: :deal: :furious3::furious3:

yeah, i'm a bit ticked off.

SCO -- Silly Crappy Ones -- are a remnant of a company that at one time worked in software. They were purchased by the market group, Silly Crappy Ones, who are attempting to disrupt the open source model of software development by making unfounded legal claims on the various software tidbits used in linux. Unix is the foundation of linux. SCO has claimed to have copyrights on as yet un-specified aspects of the os. They had the audacity to send out threats to various users of linux, claiming copyright violations. None of this has been proven in court, and what little has been mentioned by the Silly Crappy Ones has been shown to be falsehoods. Note, SCO's lawsuite has been funded by Microsniffles, and SCO's income comes only from stock--they are no longer a production entity. They are a parasite in business, only existing to drain money from people, providing no function or vital role themselves.

SCO -- Silly Crappy Ones --

:lol2:

I think people need to get over hateing RedHat, one simple reason.

Without them, Linux would not be were it is today, plain and simple.

So they make a product that they make money on to sell to Buisness, who cares? How many companys want to run a Mission Critical Server with only "forum" support? NONE!