Dual Boot

IceStorm

Ok, here is my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdb6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0

none /mnt/hd supermount dev=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

Ok, so now what do you suggest? My XP is on Primary IDE-Master, Linux is on Primary IDE-Slave.

I am clay, mold me.

:unsure:

anyone?

:unsure:

so what? now mdk installs based on ide (device only) and not bios? fstab already says hdb.....so it looks good to me IF xp is hda which it 'just' about has to be. So skip the fstab portion>uninstall lilo (because it's on hdb and needs to be on hda)>change the bios>reinstall lilo.

I agree....lilo is a nightmare.....I used grub b4 not using any linux loader. Grub is far better IMO.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I did the

lilo -u

and then the

mv -f /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.confDEF

Switched my BIOS over to boot to hda like normal. Booted off of MDK disk 1 and went into RESCUE. Selected the "reinstall boot loader" from the menu. But then got this error:

/mnt/etc/lilo.conf isn't readable, exiting

Ok, so I'm thinking that now I have no boot loader. What now?

get to rescue mode and choose;

Mount your partitions under /mnt

then choose;

Go to Console

then run;

chroot /mnt

then run;

mv -f /etc/lilo.confDEF /etc/lilo.conf

reboot to rescue mode (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and try to reinstall lilo. Sorry! I thought it wouldn't want the old after an uninstall.

haha Ok, I couldn't wait. I tried the rescue mode one more time with the same results. So I just went into text mode and selected upgrade and followed the instructions. Well after 20 minutes it was finished with the lilo working and showing both linux and XP.

I'M UP :headbang:

So no more :wall: for me.

I've got sound, and now I'm going to install the nvidia drivers you suggested.

Is there a way to get all of the buttons for my mouse working? The 3 main do, but the 2 thumb buttons do not.

icestorm thats gonna have to do with configuring X. i believe in mandrake its XFdrake from the command line. do this after your video driver is installed. make sure you know your video card (every last detail), your monitor, and your mouse. it will let you test the configuration.

mousedrake

I have;

2 buttons

1 thumb button

wheel

the wheel is 2 so I have a total of 5

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse1"
   Driver "mouse"
   Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
   Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
   Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
   Option "Buttons" "5"
EndSection

Ok, I've taken the training wheels off my bike and I'm still kind of wobblely. But I'm going foward. So far, I've installed a .run file, etc. I have a question, why must I chmod +x a .run file to get it to run?

Lastly, I want to thank you all for your assistance. While not one thing fixed everything, the sheer help I saw from you all reminded me of the old days of DOS 5.0. Hang on, I need a tissue.

There are nuances that I must learn and ween myself from the ignorance that MS allows. But I know in time I'lll be up there....still asking the same stupid questions. haha Thank you all for your help.

:cheesy:

IceStorm the reason for chmod +x filename.run is security. It allows you to control who can run certain programs. Also by making files not runable by deafult when you download them it makes it harder for Trojans and viruses to install you can't simply click on a link by mistake and have software install it's self. Also linux files often don't need or have extensions so this is away of ID ing which files are programs and which are not.

Also if you haven't allready you'll want to get urpmi/RPMdrake set up so you can install other programs and security updates for linux easily. This is probably the easiest way to do it.

http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php