Dual Boot

IceStorm

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, update to the update.

I tried the linux noacpi ide=nodma, but it did the same thing.

So I removed drive 1 with XP and tried again. Same results. I updated my bios, same results. I tried vgalo, same. I went and did text mode and it worked. I was able to install mandrake. So now I can boot up. I have 3 options of linux, failsafe, and floppy. Thats it.

So now I boot up and all seems to work fine.....except. When I try to go to configure the computer, the system "seems" to lock up. Meaning that I cannot move the mouse and nothing will happen. I have the mandrake configure center logo on the screen, but thats it. I can let it sit and the screensaver will kick in, but cannot move the mouse or anything else. I try to shut it down and reboot, but after I select reboot the computer, it again locks up. I'm trying...really hard...but this blows.

Hello my linux friends. I am writing to you all via my Firefox browser within MDK 10.0CE. Yes, I'm in...sort of. I found that my mouse and MCC will lock up if I move the mouse as MCC loads. If I don't, things are fine. Weird. It does it with it set to Generic and also MS EXplorer mouse. Eh, I'll live with it the wayit is for now.

I've got graphics...AND SOUND!. I had to mute the mic to get rid of the feedback. Small price.

My next challenge is to reconnect my main drive with XPee on it and then attempt a dual boot system. I've done this in the past with OS/2 (excuse the mess). But I have no idea where to start. I know to set my BIOS to my second hard drive, but how do I tell MDK to give me the option of loading XP and then how do I tell it where XP is loaded?

Thank you all for your help. And no, I'm not much of a qutter, I've always sucked at quitting. I gave up on quitting a long time ago. haha :jester:

UPDATE:

I reconnected my first drive. Then set bios to boot to the second drive (hdb1). I got to the lilo and went into linux fine. I went into MCC and to the boot loader screen and set Windows as hda. I named it "Windows XP Pro". So then I reboot. I get to lilo and there it is, I see "Windows_XP_Pro", so I highlight and and hit enter. The computer screen goes black and all of the sudden the PC speaker goes crazy, just beeping its ass off like tomorrow won't come. Nothing shows up on the screen. Idea's my enlightened friends?

Edited by IceStorm

ooops

I almost had everything here but forgot a long important aspect. It's too late...bed time....will try to find the time tomorrow at work if no one else can help. Sorry....me tired.

Edited by bvc

I'm happy it worked after all. But boy, you had to go through some trouble it seems.

In any case, I would advice you to perform a full update of your system. Probably the mouse problem will be gone then. There have been quite some mouse problems with 10.0 CE, but they should be gone with OE (and if you perform the updates, you will have the same packages as if you would have installed OE). It will probably be a few hundred MBs though.

Ciao,

Sitor

IceStorm

lilo can be particular about its labels. remember "KISS". try just naming it "windows" or "windowsxp" or windowsxppro". i wouldnt be at all surprised if it was something that simple.

UPDATE:

I reconnected my first drive. Then set bios to boot to the second drive (hdb1). I got to the lilo and went into linux fine. I went into MCC and to the boot loader screen and set Windows as hda. I named it "Windows XP Pro".  So then I reboot. I get to lilo and there it is, I see "Windows_XP_Pro", so I highlight and and hit enter. The computer screen goes black

xp doesn't play that way. It needs to be put back as the first hd in the bois, which is going to screw up your mandrake..BUT...mandrake is fixable. There a couple of ways to do this but the easiest probably won't work for you, based on your install problems. That would be the Upgrade Option during an Install. It will find the mandrake installation and adjust all the critical files as needed. You could try it, but it's likely to freeze on ya.

The other option is manually edit the necessary files. Mandrake and lilo think you're on hda but you're going to change that in the bios, making mdk hdb. We'll uninstall lilo, edit fstab, and reinstall lilo.

Boot to mandrake as hda>open a terminal>su to root and run;

lilo -u

if you get an error run;

lilo -U

you might want to post you /etc/fstab here first so we can see it and be sure!

still as root you'll need to open a text editor like kwrite, kate, or gedit.... or use vi or nano in a terminal/console. If any of these do not run, install one with;

urpmi <name> (example: urpmi nano)

I'd 'guess' that everything you see that is linux related (ext2, ext3, reiserfs) that says

/dev/hda

needs to be changed to

/dev/hdb

that's all! Save and exit editing the file.

Then to be sure lilo doesn't screw with you, do;

mv -f /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.confDEF

this will move the lilo config file so that it will not be read for hda when we reinstall lilo from rescue mode. It 'should' make a new one....hopefully, otherwise we'll edit

from rescuse mode.

Now you can reboot>change the hd's in the bios for xp=hda linux=hdb>save changes/reboot>see if xp boots>boot to cd1 mandrake rescue mode and reinstall the linux bootloader. Post back with success or failure :thumbs:

Edited by bvc

Ok, here is my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdb6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0

none /mnt/hd supermount dev=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

Ok, so now what do you suggest? My XP is on Primary IDE-Master, Linux is on Primary IDE-Slave.

I am clay, mold me.

Sorry, this is I doubt any use to you...

The sooner Mandrake ditches LILO the better. I had no end of trouble with my XP drive (its on a slave drive). Thankfully i've a/ got an SR7-8X mainboard, which means I can select which HD to boot from; b/ I ditched LILO as quick as I could, and use Grub instead.

For me, GRUB instantly recognised my XP drive, and I've had no problems at all - well, until I installed Fedora alongside Mandrake and had to work out what the new partition tables were...

In summation, GRUB is miles better if you can use it.