Warp to other screen

Gowator

Ok,

i have two seperate X displays... :0.0 and :0.1

The reason is to run a different resolution in each ... becuase my projector uses widescreen formats and my monitor traditional 4:3

However what I want to do is to move an application and assoc windows from x:0.0 to x:0.1

like say opera or oo so i can sit on the couch and use the big screen.

I might post in show off your desktop... if anyone wants to see how this looks.

remember jealousty is a deadly sin :D

I am not familiar with this since I haven't tried it myself, but I think, you want xinerama.

This will combine your 2 outputs in one big virtual screen ..which you can split up to different virtual desktops like you can also do with 1 output.

It says you need 2 garphic cards or a dual-head-video-card. I don't know what dual-head means, but (for myself) I hope this just means that 1 graphic card with an extra video-out can also use this ...

So, once you have set this up, you could just drag an application to another virual desktop that use your projector as ouput-device and it would appear on your projector.... This seems nice :). I hope this is correct.

Here is a how-to for xinerama (examples are also present in this how-to):

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO/index.html

Hopes this helps

Screenshots would be nice .... :D.

Edited by Michel

hehe

I wrote half of that howto .... yrs ago... (well contributed heavily)

Xinerama is fixed to the same colour depth since it makes the screen a virtual big screen.

Its cool and it works as you say with a split adapter like dial nvidia or mga ...

The difference is that for instance say they are different resolutions (and they can be) but then the panel disappers. Also they have the same geometry and this meant I had it working as a virtual resolution which meant it kept clipping part of the movie....

I could pan around using virtual screens ...

which is why I tried it the old fashioned pre_xinerama way...

Gowator,

Xinerama support in KDE and GNOME has improved a lot. You can now restrict the panel to one screen and when you maximise it maximises to one screen (not across both). I currently use xinerama with one screen at 1024x768 and the other at 800x600. The only problem I have is with the version of mplayer that comes with 9.2, which chooses to show the control window in an off screen position for most skins, the problem is fixed in 10CE.

My projector best resolutions are widescrreen (1152x864)

All nono widescreen resolutions are interpolated sop the quality is less. also its smaller on the wall cos it uses less of the TFT.

So I really prefer seperate I think.... its not just the panel its a different geometry ..