what makes an old comp slow?

Urza9814

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, I don't find 5,400 RPM hdds as dogs. They work just fine for me. :lol:

I agree... my 54000rpm Maxtor is just fine. Hdparm -t reflects around 28Mb/s access time on my system. Not much wrong with that.

To be honest, I don't really notice the difference with speeds above that...

It's a bit of a gimmick - like 52X speed cd rom drives. The fastest a cd-rom drive will ever actually read is, in reality, around 38x... faster speeds won't make a noticeable difference to your access time because no application requires it.

I can't think of anything that is going to have to access my hdd faster.

Id say it depends what UR doing and how much memory etc.

If UR using lots of swap then the drive speed can be significant. Also stuff like java with byte code interp requires faster disks becuase it cant just be read once.

If it were my PC Id be doing the graphics card 1st and hard drive last.

It might be worth tuning it before replacing it :D

Sir_max: Looks good...probably gonna go with a slightly lower graphics card though...dunno...if I can keep this case though I won't

How do I know if this case has standard mobo fittings?

I found it on there, but the picture isn't big enough...

Ok, I just checked google, and looking at other pics of it, none were big enough, but I noticed it looked rectangular, while my current one is square. I checked the sizes, mine is about 8.75x9 inches, while that one I found on google is 8.7x12...so I guess I'll need a new case too...no way I could fit that thing in here...I got maybe an inch extra space on the one side...jamming it really tight against the hard drive...no point checking the screws :P

edit:

Ok, I'm basically keeping Sir_max's config, but could I just get any case off pricewatch? Like, should they all be standard?

Edited by Urza9814

someone mentioned a used video card. How? Well I was at Fry's Electronics once and went to the video section where there was already a guy just standing there. Two other guys walked up (gamers) and went straight for the highend cards and started talking about how much better they were over their current cards. When one gamer said when he got paid Friday he was going to get the highend card, the guy standing there when I got there walked up and said, "wanna sell your old card?". Long story short, they exchanged phone numbers. You can do the same in about any department if you have the time B) .....someone will bite. Why? Because we're all addicted to speed B) ...and if I can get another $100 from you.....that means I can upgrade all the more :headbang:

I had heard of this.....but never tried it or seen it for myself.

Edited by bvc

Yes, any case is standard, but the power supply is the big thing. A good power supply with the case makes a difference.

OK, I got some cases I'm looking at, but here's my questions:

1. Will I need cooling? (Case Cooling Fan (80mm, w/3-pin connector) ... SKU#4392 [+$5.99])

2. Will I need MORE cooling? (Case Cooling Fan (80mm, w/ 3-pin + 4-pin) ... [Recommended] [+$7.99])

3. Will I need MASSIVE cooling? System Blower (Exhausts hot air out) ... SKU#4156 [+$8.99]

4. Anyone know off the top of their head how much one of those fans costs at RadioShack?

5. 300W OK? (Linkworld™ LPK8 300W w/P4 Certif.Output [Recommended]...SKU#4452 [+$19.99] )

6. is '3 Power Lead Splitters (Y connectors) ... SKU#4377-3 [+$6.33]' ok? I have 2 hard drives, 2 CD drives, and a floppy drive I need to power.

Edited by Urza9814

Minimum 300W psu (dual fan preferably variable speed -adjustable [manually]) You can get a 300-350W psu at reasonable prices but once you start into the 400W you'll find a big price jump, because of gamers. I have an Antec 300W dual fan non-adjustable (manually) but it's the smart one that does it on its own, whohoo somehow/supposedly. :rolleyes:

Fans? (minimum)

1 intake in the front

1 exhaust in the back

front fan? It doesn't have a front fan! It's got a side fan though...so should I stick a fan in two of the drive slots, cut a massive hole in it, or just use the side? :P

Here's my case: http://www.aaronix.com/catalog/product_inf...products_id/849

Fans; Blue side, purple front:

http://www.2coolshopping.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=08-001-0000

I'm also planning on getting the system blower on my case, since I figure $3 lighted fans ain't gonna be the best fans ever.

BTW - I also plan on internal blue lighting. Cathode or Neon though...

http://www.2coolshopping.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=01-393-0006

http://www.acortech.com/.sc/ms/dd/10796385...KIT%2520PS-3709

Edited by Urza9814

words to focus on here are

1 intake (cool air in)

1 exhaust (hot air out)

that's the point. You can blow out hot air all you want but one intake will decrease the temp by what 2 exhaust can do on there own, AS LONG as you have an exhaust as well. In other words, you would have to add another 2 exhaust fans to do what one intake would do. I'm repeating myself :lol: ...echo, echo... :D

So if the fan on the side at the link is an intake you're good to go cause you can bet that there's either an exhaust in the back or a space for one.

Edited by bvc

Id say it depends what UR doing and how much memory etc.

If UR using lots of swap then the drive speed can be significant. Also stuff like java with byte code interp requires faster disks becuase it cant just be read once.

If it were my PC Id be doing the graphics card 1st and hard drive last.

It might be worth tuning it before replacing it :D

Bvc, I agree. Generally speaking 5,400s are fine. They also run cooler.

Urza, ATX cases are all standard, IF they are not part of an OEM system. Same with Power supplies. If that is an older Compaq, you won't be able to use the RAM in a NON Compaq system. Some of the proprietary crap that OEMs pull on consumers. (not to mention substandard parts)

Another place to check is www.internetishop.com . I do business with them on occasion and they are reliable.

A good example of how you can luck out on eBay, is the RAM I am using right now. I was looking for 4 DDR modules, and I didn't care if they were only 128 MB each. I needed to test all 4 DDR sockets on the mobo I just got (also on eBay - the Chaintech). I happened to run across one with 4 x 256 MB DDR333, dutch auction. The seller had upgraded to 4 x 512 MB and no longer needed them. I happened to be the only bidder and got all of them for less than $25 with shipping and handling! That's 1 GB of DDR333 for less than $25 and all modules are perfect.

There is also a ton of video cards and other stuff on eBay.

In any case, the first thing to do in getting a system together, is deciding on the components. Take your time to make the decisions.