what makes an old comp slow?

Urza9814

In any case, the first thing to do in getting a system together, is deciding on the components. Take your time to make the decisions.

Yep!

Its the placement of the screws which 'should' be standard. Its only HP/Compaq really that make non standard anyway.... and even then they often use generic parts anyway and just stick a badge on.

Cases are also just cases they can be drilled, hammered etc (once the MOBO is OUT) but if you get a new one anyway thats not too expensive. Good PSU's are important but if you plan on doing this incrementally then you might be able to skimo till you get a paper round or something :D

bvc's observation is really true... gamers will laways be swapping for the latest and greatest and usually dont use the old card which might be perfect for you!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is an older Compaq, you won't be able to use the RAM in a NON Compaq system.

Not a problem...I just got 256MB RAM a little while ago...not from Compaq...memory-up.com...that site sucks BTW - I had to send it back, and then they forgot about me...lol...took 3 emails and posting a follow up on my RMA before they sent it...

Take your time to make the decisions.

I've got under 5 days if I'm gonna get it any time this year...lol...Birtday, and I plan to get everything then except the case, which I should get enough money to buy myself...in theory...

1 intake (cool air in)

1 exhaust (hot air out)

Lol...this comp don't have either...so I don't know much about that I suppose...so basically you're saying dump the system blower? Hmmm...I have yet to see a fan which specifies intake or exhaust...that might be a problem...

ah! the case has an option for 'Side Window with Neon Fan ... SKU# [+$9.99]'...question is would that be intake?

Finally, one added question:

They've got power lead splitters on there...will I need any do you know? I have 2 CD drives and 2 hard drives I need to run...Also, if I don't get any and find I need some, where could I get one (not online if possible)

Edited by Urza9814

Most standard ATX PSUs will have more than enough power connectors for your current needs. Not sure about the one in your current computer. Besides, OEMs are notorious for including barely adequate PSUs, and they don't always work with standard mobos.

You are better off getting mobo, cpu, PSU, case, fans, and such. Check to see if you can get the HDD out of your current system, or CD/DVD drive for that matter.

The one Compaq that I had the misfortune to work on, did not have a BIOS. It had a stupid Setup Partition on the HDD.

The one Compaq that I had the misfortune to work on, did not have a BIOS. It had a stupid Setup Partition on the HDD.

Yea...I've got a setup partition...but I also have BIOS...I dunno...

Check to see if you can get the HDD out of your current system, or CD/DVD drive for that matter.

Already been done...several times :P Though I have some trouble with the normal CD drive...power plug seems jammed or something...I already have removed the RAM, CD burner, both hard drives, and the floppy drive...several times...so I suppose if a pair of pliers won't get this plug out...well, then I'll just either live with one drive, or buy another one...a DVD burner! $23 on pricewatch.com :D

You know, the more I think about this, the more I think 'why?'...I mean, it's really not gonna cost me anything since I'll be getting most of it for my birthday, and there isn't anything else I want...but I keep thinking it'll be a waste...though that's what I thought when I first got Linux too, now that I think about it...I think I'm just nervous because when I bought the RAM, I spent $70 for an extra 256MB, and I haven't noticed much difference at all...I dunno, I have to think about it more I guess...

Edited by Urza9814