Mandrake 10.0 Official and PS/2 Mouse

Sonoptic

Ixthusdan, Gowator, tyme, bvc:

Thanks, everyone, for your help in trying to sort out this mouse problem.

I 'kinda' fixed it this morning. I still have no idea why the KVM setup was giving me problems with 10.0; especially when the exact same setup works fine with the MS boxes that are on the same KVM, as well as a 9.2 box that was one the same KVM.

Anyway, I swapped mice this morning and everything's A-OK now. I'm still using a Logitech OEM wheel mouse, but it's a slightly different model. I was using a M-S61, but I'm now using a M-S48a.

I don't know what the difference is between the two mice, or how the difference affects the KVM... I just know that I can now continue to work with the Mandrake 10 box on my KVM.

I just wish we could have figured out what the specific problem is and come up with a solution for it. I'm sure I won't be the only person having this or a similar problem. In my quest to find a solution to my problem, I discovered that many, many people are having all different kinds of problems with Mandrake 10, and a lot of those problems seem to involve PS/2 Mice. (I'm not slagging Mandrake...EVERY new version of ANY software has bugs.)

Well, thanks again for your help. If any of you come up with any more info, try to remember this thread and post your findings here. I'll do the same.

L8R ;)

Dave (Sonoptic)

Edited by Sonoptic

Your welcome, but you did all the work! :lol2:

I do not like the new universal mouse driver. I think it is the problem spot, but that's me.

hi all,

I have nearly the same problem with 10.0 OE. I can't use my standart PS/2 mouse (right button and wheel from time to time) that was working properly under 9.2. With mousedrake, I can't change the default choice "universal mouse".

Can anybody summarize the solution since there is many propositions in this thread ?

TIA

chris

summary ::: or my best guess

Well how does the universal mouse work... I guess it actually quesries the mouse to find its capabilities etc.

However KVM must to some extent do the same thing. PS/2 in particualr is fussy. Windows hates it being disconnected and will often lock up completely if this happens so the kvm has a buffer .... this fools the dumb 2.4 drivers and windows drivers but not the 'smart' 2.6 driver.

thus it requeries and find a 'different' mouse.

sometimes smarter isnt better....

one workaround I use at home with no kvm is cordless mice.... I leave the logitech cordless plugged in and have a single mouse then I just press the connect buttons to change.

This even works though one is PS/2 and the other is USB ???

• 5 months later...
Guest itismike

I'm having similar problems with Drake 10 beta. My KVM is a Belkin OMNI and I'm using a GE optical wheelmouse with two additional buttons (one of them seems to be set to be 'back' and the other is something else, maybe paste?)

On boot, it won't respond to the scroll wheel, and if I switch the KVM back and fourth, the mouse acts like it just ingested an 8-ball of crack. Even resetting X-windows (ctrl-alt-backspace) doesn't help.

Has anyone found a hint about this yet?

Another thing: some installations of Linux (various flavors) seem to have a mouse driver that ignores input until a certain threshold has been reached (the pointer won't even move if I move the mouse extremely slowly) which makes detailed movements impossible. What's so hard about making a good mouse driver anyway? [braces for the response]

Thanks,

Mike

PS: how can I increase the size of my mouse pointer? The mouse config tool under peripherals doesn't seem to make it any bigger than normal.

• 1 month later...
Guest Labonte

i dont think this is a KVM problem...

i'm haveing problem with the mouse, on startup the mouse dont work, but if i CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and from there run mousedrake and change from universal PS/2-USB mice to PS/2 PS/2-Wheel mice, then the mouse functions, untill i reboot then its the same problem

my XF86Config looks like this

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier "Mouse1"
  Driver "mouse"
  Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
  Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
  Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

any1 got any solution to this problem?

/Daniel