Any good 4x Galactic Conquest Games recommendations???

Guest JaseP

I really want a good 4X (Exploration, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate) Space game for Linux,...

Does anyone know of a good game that fits this description or of one in development???

It's a shame that something like that doesn't exist for linux. You'd think it would be one of the easier games to implement since you could do it using only 2D graphics and maybe some kind of scripting language.

It's not much better in the windows world either. MOO III has been pushed back yet again...the suspense is killing me :wink:

Glitz.

There is also a game called Vega Strike that is based on the windows game Elite. I haven't tried it, just saw it in the Nov. issue of Linux Format.

Here is the link

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/main.html

And here are some screenshots (takes forever for the page to render though)

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/pics.html

It looks interesting, some of the graphics look a little rough though.

I didn't post the first post but if you could find me a hybrid between startrek armada2 and master of orion 2 i'd be happy :P

Not a starcraft/c&c/warcraft type game

or similar games of both types.

or those games ported

I think a master of orion style game would be the most simple to make, no 3d, turn based.

Or Startrek Birth of the Federation (good game imo) was turn based with 3d battles (although computer controlled and rather dated 3d now, was damn cool when it first came out).

even something like Space empires would be cool to have(another turn based).

/**********************************************************/

Tell you what my dream game would be:

cross between q3/elite(modern 3d)/hardwar

as in:

can fly ships around be a pirate/ merc/ trader -- the universe is huge not tied to a story no cut scenes.

can board ships/ ground bases q3 style and slaugther the crew and take over/steal components access there computer data or run around your own ship defending against borders, fix components of your ship etc.

can buy property on planets or build bases/ mines/ factories on asteriods/ uninhabited planets like in X beyond the frontier (just need to buy modules or hire constructin crews or something).

With multiplayer for lan games

Now that would be a game!

Oh well i can dream

I'm looking for something along the lines of Star Trek: Birth of the Federation,... Pax Imperia 2 Emininant Domain, Spaceward Ho!, Acsendency, Imperium Galactica 2, etc.

Although a Homeworld conversion would be fanatastic...

• 2 weeks later...