RPM of the GIMP?

Havin_it

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a RPM of the GIMP 2.0 that works with Mandrake 10.0CE? Would the Fedora or SuSE RPMs from gimp.org work, if anyone's tried them?

I'm not scared to build from source if necessary (well maybe a bit) but I'd sooner have RPM because I've no clue how to uninstall source packages.

Pardon a thickie! :help:

there should be a gimp 2.0 RPM for MDK 10 CE on the CD's, and if not, atleast on the contrib mirrors. let me check on it and i'll get back to you.

Yeup

there's some other packages that are additions to gimp 2.0 there. they all start with "gimp2"

if I were you, I'd add this repo to your software repo's through Mandrake Control Center -> Software -> Software Media Manager

which isn't supposed to work with community

says who?

and why are people running CE without updates?

sorry, it's the other way around:

Moreover, we recommend not to install Community packages on an Official version. First this will void your support contract, and second this is not aimed to be.

my bad. :wall:

CE, from my understanding, is updated through cooker. that's my understanding - so they wouldn't be running it without updates. but hey, what do i know, right?

Thanks everyone - speshly tyme for that first link. I have indeed set that site up as an update source. It does seem that gimp2 is part of the repository now, but it never appeared on my previous update site.

Now I have another problem - I uninstalled gimp1.2, but it's still in my menu! I clicked on it, expecting a Windows-style "That's not there anymore!" message, but it created a bunch of files and loaded up as if it'd never left!

I'm not suffering any apparent problems due to both being present, but I'm aware that it's quite a weighty app. and I only have a 9Gig partition and I'm trying to keep it tight. Any advice how I can remove 1.2 completely?

That's right - it was part of my initial install, but I used RPMdrake to uninstall it. I'd launched it from shell, and I didn't see any unusual output there during the uninstall.

I should also say that when I launched the 'phantom' 1.2, I just got that 'installing files' monologue and not the 'first run' setup dialogue (where you setup the page file etc.). Everything was clearly still there, as I wasn't prompted for the CD.

Does the fact that I installed it with the OS maybe make it harder to remove?

Yes, I think I am down to one version now. It appears it was the first uninstall attempt that went awry, as I went back into 'Remove Programs' again and 1.2 was still there! However this time it was successfully banished, even from the menu.

RPMdrake seems to be pretty temperamental generally. Setting up tyme's repo site in Package Manager was an arduous process - RPMdrake timed out and hung several times before success - and whichever part of the program I use, installing, managing, updating or whatever, my cursor is permanently in 'waiting' mode (although that's not the case as I can continue my activities regardless).

Anyway, I'm now happily working away with the GIMP - first impressions make it a serious rival to Photoshop in my book. The panel-docking improvements definitely eased my transition; it'd be nice to see them all anchored together, but that's a small criticism for what seems a really top endorsement of Linux for me as a newcomer. I shall tell my friends!

(both of them)

PMdrake seems to be pretty temperamental generally.  Setting up tyme's repo site in Package Manager was an arduous process - RPMdrake timed out and hung several times before success - and whichever part of the program I use, installing, managing, updating or whatever, my cursor is permanently in 'waiting' mode (although that's not the case as I can continue my activities regardless).

carroll (as we all affectionately call her, - the server that is- since that's her name...) tends to be tempermental. she gets full a lot, and response slowly from time to time, so it may not be rpmdrake but rather carroll that was causing the problem.