eth0 Problems

Guest nauron

Guest nauron

Hi @all

First: sorry for my bad english...

I tried to install mandrake 10 CE and all works fine until the network configuration. In the summary Screen I choose "configure" to configure my network, the wizard pop up and shows my network card (actually is on-board; a 1000 Lan Intel Chip) then on the "weird" message that my card is already configured, the system freezes. So i restart and install the 10 CE again. This time, i step over the configuration part because i thought i could configure later. The installation was finished, i restart my computer and now it freezes on "bringing interface eth0" (or starting up, I can not remember)

What can i do?

BTW: I am Linux newbee...

Does it freeze fatally, or just pause for a REALLY long time before returning FAILED?

I had many problems with this one, and still don't know how to do it gracefully. On clean install, my eth0 (Realtek ACsomething) is detected and - yes - apparently pre-configured in summary. Then on booting it doesn't freeze, but initialization returns FAILED. Doubly wierd because it is recognised by ifconfig...

If it's configured for DHCP, it takes about a minute to return OK (or sometimes FAILED depending what hapless details I punch in) - maybe this is what you are getting? Also, there may be some issue with 'network hotplugging' so I'd try disabling that.

If you can still get into eth0 configuration, you might want to try giving it a static IP (if that's workable with anything you're wanting to do with your LAN card later). This gives an instant OK on boot for me, though it might not fix your problem.

10.0 seems to be giving everyone problems with their eth0 so you're not alone. In my case it was preventing my DSL modem from working, I just wished I didn't even have a darn LAN card.

Guest nauron

I returns nothing, it just freeze. I let it run the whole night.

I have a DSL Router too.

Another Problem is that i do not know how i can configure anything (except by re-install) because it can not boot... Can I boot in a "rescue mode"?

umm, dunno about that, sorry. You say you have a router - I take it it's connected to the ethernet port?

If it's plugged in during setup, you might be getting a problem something like the ethernet card waiting to get an IP address through the router, but not getting one for whatever reason.

Think this one's outta my league - passing to the router guys.

First thing is to stop it freezing....

the easiest way is select the I option on bootup when it asks about interactive setup and then say NO to networking.

alternatively if you know how

at the prompt in lilo instead of linux press tab then linux 1

after it boots go to /etc/init.d/ and move the file network to _network (or similar)

this should let you boot ...

Guest nauron

Update:

I have tried what Gowator said, and it works (more or less /-: -> ). I had completed the setup with configure the network, reboot and come to the login screen. But then it was over, the System freezes. I restart. Login prompt, now i can enter my user pass and I am logged in. I started the mandy Config Center and then the System freezes again. It freezes all the time... what can produce this Problem? How can I stop the system to freeze? A Hardware issue can not be, the Windows XP before worked fine.

I would try to unplug any external device till see which one is causing the prolem. Which external device you have attached to your computer? I remember that a simple usb zip drive was freezing my system at booting time. Try that....

Edited by william

As you've figured out, there's a problem with CE and the Intel gigabit NIC. I ran into this exact problem myself, as detailed here:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...t=0entry99278

Basically, the 2.6.3 kernel that CE installs has a bug in its e1000 driver. You can try booting into the non-enterprise, non-smp kernel, and see if your onboard network resumes functioning. I ended up installing another NIC and disabling the onboard for the time being, don't know if that's an option for you. I've since been playing with a couple of other distros, while waiting for 10.0 Official .iso's to drop.

nauron ...

can you disable the adapter in bios (seems a shame but a 100mbit is only $15 )

I had to do this with my nforce for a while (9.1-9.2), specially with enterprise and it was annoying but it works great in 10.0

From what jfz said this is worse in the enterprise kernel which is made the default if youh have over 868MB RAM.

If it works in the vanilla kernel then perhaps you can just recompile this for 4GB support (if this is the problem)

Guest nauron

Gowtor

I tried to disable the Adapter in the Bios, but i didn't find any option... It seems that i have to update the Kernel (somehow). I found a 2.6.6 Kernel (here) which should work with mandy 10. But i do not now how i do this with a CD... Google! (-:

nauron

Hmmm

Im at work in windows....

the main question is if this is an initrd kernel or not.

anyone ???

Actually installing it isnt too hard.... just download it then urpmi <xxx.rpm>

then /etc/lilo.conf .. run lilo and reboot

(in theory)

it would help if someone can confirm if this needs a initrd making...

also if you have broadband it might be a good idea to try some live distro's and confirm the kernel is OK with th adapter.

Try knoppix and PCLinux OS perhaps and if it works then you know that kernel is possible.

If its the PCLinux OS thats fine cos its an RPM if its knoppix its a Deb but you can apt-get kernel-source (in knoppix) then copy onto a Mandy partition.