WineX CVS for dummies please

This is a repeat of a thread we had only two weeks ago. You must use the search engine before asking questions.

But to repeat myself: CVS is easy, but $5 is nothing to ask for the software - freeloading will kill Linux, blah blah blah ;)

freeloading on winex won't kill linux though... ;)

We shouldn't condone freeloading, even if we disagree with a companies product or it's way of business. It's what gives Linux users a bad name.

but anyways, did we solve the problem? Looks like we did ;) No need to discuss further, eh? :P

Not trying to get off subject again but.

You may need to just simply stuff for a while. I am no expert but I can get around a linux box and I still use Point2Play over winex. Its just to simple to use.

Freeloading or not, how much is your time worth? Some things you may want to spend a great deal of time to learn. Others you may want to spend a little and make it easy. How do you want it? For some 5 bucks is a lot of money. In the US maybe its a pack of cig's (or a gallon of gas).

I pay 5 bucks a month for Point2play (winex). and its works great. No command line needed.

BTW I also use it for a lot of other Window$ programs. It handles a lot of stuff wine cant.

A couple of things.

1)Sorry i wasn't able to test out the solutions earlier but I've been loaded down with finals and havn't been able to try out anythign till now.

2)I'm all for paying 5 bucks for a program. I'm not for paying 5 bucks for every month I plan to use the program. Thats what microsoft wants and frankly i'm not willing to pay tons of cash if I plan to use this program for years to come in addition to any windows games I plan on buying.

3)I created the directories as suggested and I got this error:

wine: '/home/john/.wine/wineserver-aldur2' must not be accessible by other users

I have no idea what it means by that. I tried going into root and saying the ownership was mine but the same error message came up. Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

I've been following this thread and got to the point where it says this: "wine: '/root/.wine/wineserver-Alex' must not be accessible by other users". I changed the permissions for group and others to forbidden and now I get this error: "wine: exists lstat socket : No such file or directory"

• 1 month later...

hey

after downloading i get this

[root@localhost winex]# ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-X --enable-opengl --enable-pthreads

checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu

checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu

checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu

checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes

checking for gcc... no

checking for cc... no

checking for cc... no

checking for cl... no

configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

See `config.log' for more details.

i also tried

./configure --prefix=/usr --with-x --enable-sdldrv --enable-opengl

the same thing showed up and some more:

Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 12813, errno = 0

what went wrong?

Reading these lines:

checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

it tells you that you need a compiler if you want to compile stuff.

# urpmi gcc

Good luck!