WineX CVS for dummies please

Yes I am that dummy. I've looked at various how tos to download and install the winex cvs version but nothing has worked for me. I first tried the how-to on this forum but when i followed the step which states to open a konsole and tyepe cvs -d:pserver:cvs@cvs.transgaming.org:/cvsroot login i get a bash error where cvs is not found. I was at the website as told and did everything according to the how to. Then I downloaded WineX CVS from source forge (which i couldn't get anything to work under) and upgrade it to the transgaming version by what they said. But i had no idea what to do with the code once it loaded (i was told by one to copy paste it into konsole but what happened was it crashed)

CAN ANYONE HELP ME??????????

I need either 1)help getting installing WineX CVS from scratch or 2)help upgrading from the sourceforge version.

Everything worked great up to the point where i tried to configure the file. In konsole i got the following error:

*** The sdl-config script installed by SDL could not be found

*** If SDL was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in

*** your path, or set the SDL_CONFIG environment variable to the

*** full path to sdl-config.

configure: error: *** SDL version 1.2.0 not found!

i'm new at linux and unix so I have no idea what to do about this.

My guess would be that you don't have SDL installed.

[Coruscant//liquidzoo]$ rpm -qa | grep SDL
libSDL_mixer1.2-1.2.5-3mdk
perl-SDL-1.20.0-8mdk
libSDL_image1.2-1.2.3-3mdk
libSDL_net1.2-1.2.5-2mdk
libSDL1.2-1.2.7-4mdk
libSDL_gfx10-2.0.10-1mdk
libSDL_ttf2.0-2.0.6-4mdk
[Coruscant//liquidzoo]$

Make sure that you have those files (probably different versions, but same files) installed and it should work. I guess the libSDL1.2 file is the file that you need.

Ok i got the install file created but what do i do with it? I tried double clicking it in gui to no effect and typing it in konsole. Do I need some special command or am I already done with it all and just need to run some executable file in the winex directory?

I believe you need to mount your game cd and type:

wine /path/to/setup.exe

and it should work and install your game just fine.

A word of warning, though. WineX doesn't seem to like the 2.6.x series kernel very much atm. At least, the pre-packaged version doesn't.

I tried what you said but konsole stated :

wine: chdir to /home/john/.wine/wineserver-aldur2 : No such file or directory

The install file i made, i could not figure out how to run it. Could this be the problem? If so could someone please tell me how to make it run

ok, first off: Does the directory /home/john/.wine/ exist?

When I tried to install WineX through cvs, it created the .wine/ directory in /root

If that's the case for you, the fix is pretty simple. Open a console and su to root. Then type the following commands:

cp -r /root/.wine/ /home/john/
chown -R john:john /home/john/.wine/

That should work for you. I remember having to do that the last time I tried the cvs route for WineX.

This is a repeat of a thread we had only two weeks ago. You must use the search engine before asking questions.

But to repeat myself: CVS is easy, but $5 is nothing to ask for the software - freeloading will kill Linux, blah blah blah ;)