Doom III this summer w/ a Linux client!?

furfurdemon666

"DOOM III This Summer" says the /. article and the related news link.

Heh. I thought DNF was going to be out before Doom III? Oh well. :) Who is excited about this? I've never been a big Doom fan, but the fact that there's a Linux client gets me worked up. Woot - I hope more companies start releasing Linux clients for their games.

Edited by furfurdemon666

id have Linux clients for every single game they release. So why are most Linux ports FPS? Because id are the best at supporting Linux and all their games are fps...

Plus, atari doing the Unreal Tournament series is probably a spin-off of that. "Linux guys like fps, look how many they've ported."

And so it continues.

Its good they are porting it over but will they at least SAY IT on the box? If the word 'linux' starts showing up in stores or on game boxes, more people will look up what it is. And that will make even more companies port games over.

Its good they are porting it over but will they at least SAY IT on the box? If the word 'linux' starts showing up in stores or on game boxes, more people will look up what it is. And that will make even more companies port games over.

There are some games that already do say this. I bought Uplink because it said it was linux compatible on the box. UT2003 made a mistake by not saying that it was Linux compatible anywhere on the box, despite having the installer on cd3, but this problem was corrected with UT2004 (nice little Tux picture on the box, along with Linux system requirements printed alongside the Windows ones)

I really hope that id continues this trend.

About bloody time! More and more companies are adding linux installers to their games. And the good thing about this is that it's not the low-budget crappy games, its the high-end highly anticipated one! :D

For example, UT2004, UT2003, Far Cry, and now Doom3

Love ya john carmack!

• 1 month later...

I am glad Doom 3 is gonna out on Linux, I remember doom 1 and 2 on MS-Dos, what a fantastic game, and I too am also glad more and more games come out for Linux, I heard there is a Sim City 3 version for Linux, gotta get that, awesome game, I wonder if Sim 2 will be out on Linux, never tried Sims before, looks awesome.

I would highly recommend Doom 3 (even tho I have no idea what it's like)... especially on the more 'stable' Linus OS, move over Windows, time to die! He he!