Partition error conundrum!

Havin_it

Hi,

I hope this question is valid as it's half-Windoze-related, and arguably more software- than hardware-related; but here goes.

I used Partition Magic to shrink my Win partition and setup a dual boot with Mandrake 10.0 CE, used DiskDrake to setup all the other partitions. Since then I've reinstalled Mandrake a couple of times, including the bootloader (which is in the MBR).

Everything has been working quite smoothly in both OSes, but I started Partition Magic the other day to be greeted with the following message:

Powerquest Partition Magic has detected an error 116 on the partition starting at sector 112518 on disk 1.

The starting LBA value is 112518 and the CHS value is 1783845.
The LBA and CHS values must be equal.
Powerquest Partition Magic has verified that the LBA value is correct and can fix the CHS value.

Would you like to fix this error?

Well, I have no clue what any of it means. I probably should just choose 'yes', but I'm paranoid that this might stuff up the Linux install somehow, and like I say I'm not suffering any ill-effects from this problem at present. (I only opened Partition Magic again out of curiosity - I wasn't planning any further meddling.)

Does anyone know if it's (a) safe and (B) important to fix this? Thanks for any advice.

Yep Im windows free for a while now... I bought PM7 and at the time they talked of a native linux version for PM8.....

which Id have bought.....

I have no probs at all paying for a util like PM .... specuially since they throw in boot magic and the goodies etc.

I have regularly used Partition Magic over the years and often had the same messages and I ALWAYS let Partition Magic make the corrections and NEVER had any problems as a consequence. PM is ultra conservative in everything it does so as to ensure it never damages anything, yet in that error message it says it can fix the discrepency safely.

I think you can go ahead and let PM do its thing.

Cheers. John.

Woah ... mad props for the Partition Magic then. Thanks for the all-clear guys. Like I say I'd sooner not have to guddle with partitions at all, but I figured use each OS's native tools to work with the partitions that it will use. And I'm so glad I have my two funky desktops now!

***Just waitin 4tha next thunderbolt***

PS - sorry for double-posting. Could I be any more new?

Edited by Havin_it