Can only start Konsole as root user

deathkrush

I'm running Mandrake 10 Official with 2.6.3-7 kernel and I have this problem: I can't launch Konsole as a regular user, it just opens the Konsole window and hangs there, doesn't show command prompt. When I log in as root it works fine. Also, when I go to Configure Your Computer it asks me for a root password and then says that SU command not found. I logged in as root and su command was working fine.

This started happening after I installed Azureus (java version of Bittorrent) and tried adding it to path. I edited etc/rc.local and added PATH=$PATH:/home/... I know, this is probably wrong, I'm a newbie and I coulodn't find a FAQ how to add a program to search path. Also I uninstalled wxPython and some python libs that day. I tried commenting that line in rc.local but that didn't help.

I think the problem is that the program search path is screwed up when I log in as a regular user. Any suggestions?

I would take that entry out of /etc/rc.local and put it in your users ~/.bash_profile. Put just the path directory (/home in this case) after the entry that is already there separated by a semicolon ( ; )

That should fix your issue. I would imagine it will.

what default shell does your user have and is that shell installed ???

edits

also try another user.... can this one open the shell.

The default shell is /bin/bash. I know it's installed because it works when I login as root. I created another user and it didn't help, same problem.

Also, I tried running Konsole from run line, same thing.