Software and MDK10PowerPakOfficial

lawsonrc

I joined the MandrakeClub as a Silver Member and downloaded/installed MDK10 Powerpak on both my computer and my laptop. (In other sections of this forum I have listed problems on both machines).

1. I thought by getting the 5 CD's for the PowerPak (and paying $132 US for the membership), that all the software I'd ever want would be included.

This is what doesn't seem to be the case:

2. Where is the Realplayer? It is not on any of the 5 discs: I'm very, very disappointed. Typing urpmi realplayer does nothing as root.

3. In fact, there are no plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins.

4. In KDE, kworldclock is missing. It opens up a world map showing which parts of the world have daylight and darkness; by hovering over the dots representing cities, you see there names,date and present time. Typing as root urpmi kworldclock does nothing.

5. Typing urpmi mozilla-firefox does not work (as root).

6. I'm also very irked that you can't right-click on the desktop and have the run command as a choice in the context menu. It is so convenient...even more so than ALT +F2 (when the keyboard drawer is under the desk and you don't want to pull it out), or opening the "star", i.e. kde menu.

7. I've also attempted trying to add the above software in MCC's Software Management with no results.

8. My point is, these things should be included in the download version of the PowerPak!!!

9. If this is the case, why is there a PowerPak when the free commerical apps do not exist?

This really bothers me. I really couldn't afford the membership as I am jobless. If I had known all these things would be missing, I would have downloaded the free version of MDK10 Official. I feel llike I was really burned. In addition, there are other, more serious problems with MDK10 and Kernel 2.6.3, such as bugs in the kernel to use ACPI with the laptop (for sound as well as other utilities.)

I hope I can get some help with some of these issues. Sorry for ranting.

In advance, thanks and I appreciate your help.

Richard L.

Edited by lawsonrc

You'll get the Realplayer without paying here:

http://www.real.com

You'll get the Flash plugin here:

http://macromedia.rediris.es/site_ri.html

Choose: the Mandrake 10.0 rpm

You'll get mozilla-firefox on all MDK 10.0 Official ftp contrib mirrors, f. e.:

ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirro....0/contrib/i586

Installation of all locally stored rpm's:

# urpmi <name.of.the.file.rpm>

The kworldclock is included in the package 'kdetoys' on one of your cd's.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Anna,

I appreciated your putting all these links in one message. It'll be very helpful for me later this evening. :thumbs:

My point was that ALL of these things (with the exception of firefox) should have come with Powerpak (i.e. free commerical apps) and have automatically installed, since they are basic, everyday things that almost everyone uses (with maybe the exception of kdetoys). :angry:

In fact, kdetoys was automatically installed with MDK9.0, 9.1 and 9.2.

Once again, thanks for taking the time. Your response should help others, too. :D

Richard L.

Your welcome, lawsonrc. That's why we are on this board, to help eachother.

Can't answer to your concerns about the Powerpack. Never used it.

I've found it easy to find all apps and plugins and additional software on the mirrors and elsewhere on the internet. And I got used to keep them, so that I can install them even when the next MDK release is out. Most of them will work.

lawsonrc:

since you are a mandrake club member, you really -have to- check out the RPM repositories they provide to us:

http://www.mandrakeclub.com/modules.php?na...me=Mirrors-list

A lot of what you're looking for is found on those mirrors, specifically realplayer and flash, and also nvidia kernels and nvidia glx rpms. I just started using it when I decided to test out Mandrake 10.0 OE, and I love it!

IIRC correctly you are able to contact Mandraksoft and get a refund on your membership if you're not satisfied. I've always thought the powerpacks were overpriced, but thats not a issue for a software support thread.

lawsonrc:

To add features like the worldclock its the Toys and Edutainment (both KDE)... you will need to install both to get it working... they are on the CDs... use the MMC or MCC which ever it is and do a list all packages or by groups DONT do the mandrake choice you will never see them. May also find the other apps you are looking for.

Thanks, glennp...

I got it done last week. Last week I went to MCC, Software Management, Add Programs and found KDE-blah....and installed it from the disks. I think I did it either by Groups or by Name...I've learned to avoid "Mandrake Choice" as it is not very helpful.

Or I may have gone to one of the MandrakeClub mirrors (but I think I did it the first way). If I had known the command line for it, it would have been faster to have done the urpmi blah.....

I appreciate your your input into this thread. It's great to have so many helpful members. Your reply will certainly help others!!

Cheers,

Richard

3. In fact, there are no plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins.

Java (1.4.2_04) and flash plugin are preinstalled. Java is here: /usr/lib/jre-1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32

To use it with Firefox just make a symlink to your firefox/plugins directory.

And for flash copy ‎/usr/lib/netscape/plugins/flashplayer.xpt

‎/usr/lib/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so files to firefox/plugins :D