Wrong kernel source installed

rockybalboa

First off, I have followed the instructions posted on this board religiously, regarding NVIDIA driver installation.

The install keeps failing when it tries to build the kernel interface. The errors are as follows:

Wrong kernel source installed.

Cannot find correct kernel source.

I did a little self learning and found this using rpm -qa |grep (or something like it)

I am running kernel 2.6.3-7mdk-1-1mdk

However my source is 2.6.3-9mdk

Is this actually the wrong kernel source?

If so how can I get the right one?

I got the current one through urpmi kernel source. It seems strange to me that the machine would have automatically downloaded and configured the wrong one without asking me to at least confirm that it was using the wrong one.

Is this because MDK 10 is so new? Is it possible/safe to force the NVIDIA installer to just use what is provided without complaining?

This is all learning for me so I appreciate anyones input.

Thanx Dan

I moved this topic to Hardware

Yes, you have the incorrect kernel source installed. In a console, as root:

urpme kernel-source

this will uninstall the incorrect kernel source.

You might want to update your urpmi sources as well. The correct kernel source you need can be found here: ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distr.../Mandrake/RPMS/ And probably any official mirror.

Alternatively, you could urpmi the correct kernel to match the source you have. That seems a bit drastic, though.

The kernel is one thing that is not updated automatically. If you want to update the kernel, su to root in a console and type

urpmi kernel

That will give you a list of the available kernel's and ask you to pick one.

For the average user, though; you shouldn't have to update the kernel unless there is a security advisory that affects your kernel version. Keep an eye out here for Security Advisories from aru

OK this is getting interesting. I did what was said and removed the wrong kernel-source. Then I updated my sources. Then I downloaded the kernel source again, problem is it downloaded the -9 source again!@! Not the source for my -7 kernel. Then I entered

urpmi kernel

and it says everything already installed. So I'm basically stuck in a loop. I'll try the instructions bvc gave and see if that cures the problem.

I tend to use gurpmi for adding and removing kernels and their corresponding sources.

As long as you have your media up to date just add and remove whatever sources through add/remove software.

Even better idea, using the same method (i.e. gurpmi) just update the kernel to the -9 version. This is so easy. It's never gone wrong for me. It'll add the kernel to lilo etc....

All you have to do to boot into it (I do this as a precaution) is type 'lilo' in a shell, just to be 100% sure this worked, then reboot. The new kernel will be listed (if you got no errors from 'lilo' in a shell.

Then go with nvidia update.

I hope you have succeeded in getting it to work but if not, could you paste the output of the following command:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

Maybe it can be useful for future support in the case you are still facing problems.

I've already experienced situations in which "urpmi kernel" installed a kernel version that didn't match the kernel source installed without making any sort of question on which version to install before downloading (maybe only one version was there available in the rpms source).

I think it depends on what you have in your rpm data base, if you don't want to spend time updating your entire rpm database, go to that page suggested by bvc and download the kernel / sources that suit your needs and just do (as root) a "rpm -i filename.rpm" to get everything installed.

Good luck.

If you go to your /boot folder

cd /boot

You will see the kernel you are running. Uninstall your incorrect kernel source and this time do a

urpmi kernel-source

and type in the full or almost full name of the kernel so that you get the correct source..

If you already did this, then you must have something else going on..