Mandrake 9.2 standby mode?

Guest jethrobodine

Guest jethrobodine

Hi,

I run a Dell Dimension 4400 and dual boot - XP Home/Mandrake 9.2. I run Linux almost exclusively but run Windows for Microsoft Money financial software. One thing I like about windows on this machine is the ability to put the pc in standby mode. Everything stops, hard drives, fans, etc. and it just sits there quietly until I wake it with a key press or mouse movement. Really nice in the summer when you don't want to create extra heat by having the pc running when it's not being used. Does Mandrake Linux have this capability? I've searched on "standby" but found things related to monitors which I don't think is what I need. Thanks in advance.

Don

Yes, Mandrake does have a standby feature. I've used both Mandy 9.1 and 10 on my IBM Thinkpad T20, and standby and resume work fine. There are occasional quirks, like certain services not resuming... but that could just be me.

As far as I know, there are two linux programs that can deal with suspend/resume -- apmd (the one I use), and acpi. I'm not real familiar with the differences or their practical usage... my suspend/resume worked automagically.

Marc...

Use Drakboot to enable power control

Menu: Configuration->Configure your Computer->Login

When Drakboot starts click the Configure button, then tick the Enable ACPI tickbox. This will enable apmd the next time you reboot.

Guest jethrobodine

:wall: Not working too well. I enabled ACPI via Drakboot, rebooted and ran pmsuspend2. A screen appears that is dark, has a 9.2 logo in the bottom-right. At the top it reads SUSPEND TO DISK, then

FREEZING PROCESSES: ATTEMPT 1, (then 2, then 3). Bottom line is standby appears to fail then goes into a locked-screen condition. Screenblanker comes on and input results in a request for user password. I want to stop hard drives and fans.

Also installed acpid-1.0.2-4mdk thinking it might help.

Don

Edited by jethrobodine

From what I've heard, some BIOSes are not compatible with acpi or apmd. I know when I tried acpi, it wasn't working right. I grabbed apmd, and it worked. If acpi doesn't do it for you, try downloading apmd (you can get it through the Mandrake Control Center's software install program).

Marc...

Guest jethrobodine

One gain - machine now shuts down when I choose to shut down. Before, I'd actually have to wait until Linux closed out and then push the power button to an off state. I wish that I could get this thing to go into standby.

Don