mp3 rippers

neocytrix

like anything else in linux its so much choice :D

I like GRIP for the flexibility and easy options for codecs... CDDB lookup etc all works well....

Remember you need to download the MP3 codecs unless you want ogg. (i.e. if you use an external MP3 player)

urmpi grip lame should do both.....

On codecs .... anyone benchmarked them ???

Heya,

if your using kde ... you can do it for example also with k3b. It's a little bit hidden, but it has very nice options for ripping. You can select a lot of codecs ..(you may have to install soem stuff maybe)... I can select mp3 ...(with lame), ogg, flac, wav, ...( a lot of codes .... sox gives ait a lot of extra stuff I think).

When you put in a cd. Double click on the cdrom-drive in k3b. It wil try to trtrieve he info from the cd. There is a also an option for cddb-lookup.

You can then select the tracks to rip. Above the tracks there are some icons in a row. One of them (think the most right one) is for ripping. When you click on it, you het some options...codec ..generate m3u-playlist, ...level for paranoia-cd-reader, ..where to put the files, ...how to name them, based on cd-info, ..mayeb some other stuff.

I used it for encoding to flac .... may you change your mind :). I added the follwoing settingf or the flac-encoder: q7...you have different compression possibilities q8 is the highest. Standard is q5, but q6 is much better compression than q5 I think. It takes some time to encode to flac ....

Arson is another possibility, but I haven't tried it yet.

Edited by Michel

• 3 weeks later...

Yep I was surprised how fast it is compared to the actual CD extrraction

use BLADEENC or LAME because my handheld player takes mp3 but it takes less than a second to encode a whole track. from the CLI with defaults. I had been planning to benchmark them but with enough RAM it flies