New monitoring app- like gdesklets and gkrellm

iphitus

Torsmo is a system monitor that sits in the corner of your desktop. It's very simple, customizable and it renders only text on the desktop (and percentagebars if you want it to ;) and the only lib it uses is Xlib.

Torsmo can show various information about your system and it's peripherals, including:

* kernel version

* uptime

* network interface information

* memory and swap usage

* hostname

* machine, i686 for example

* system name, Linux for example

* Temperatures from i2c-sensors

shot.jpg

I have played with it and its cool. It is extremely customizable, so make sure you read the readme on the site. I have been trying to get it to read acpi temperatures. Ill post that when I get it working. While it does consume a little more cpu power than gkrellm would, it uses much much less than gdesklets. It does however have one disadvantage, it doesnt draw over nautilus in GNOME. So if you use GNOME you either have to disable nautilus' desktop drawing with the instructions at the torsmo site or dont use GNOME :)

This is also a great first time program for a newbie to compile. It's tiny and the only development library needed is Xfree-devel. Install that, then the normal:

tar -zxvf

./configure

make

make install

And enjoy torsmo

Site here: http://torsmo.sourceforge.net

Download here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...group_id=108594

Edited by iphitus

Cool! This was exactly what I was looking for. Gkrellm just doesn't 'blend in' with my desktop and has way to much information anyway. Gonna try it this evening.

Also, lucky me! I just found my 2nd piece of software to compile! :P

Edited by Darkelve

It does however have one disadvantage, it doesnt draw over nautilus in GNOME. So if you use GNOME you either have to disable nautilus' desktop drawing with the instructions at the torsmo site or dont use GNOME

Alright, this looks just like what I've been looking for... but, what does it mean that you "have to disable nautilus' desktop drawing" ? Does that mean no wallpaper? How do I disable nautilus' desktop drawing and what is the consequence?

run:

gconf-editor

go under apps->nautilus->preferences turn off the "draw desktop" option (this is from memory so i might be a tad off).

the only real disadvantage is that you won't have any icons on your desktop. you will still have your background.

is this gnome/nautilus issue something they are going to fix/change?

Probably not. Its not an 'issue' to them

This works by drawing itself onto the root desktop. Nautilus runs a window over the root desktop.

To avoid this, they would have to hack into the way the background is set on the Nautilus window very heavily. Or have it run in a window which would requir a large rewrite and its resource footprint owuld increase immensly

is this gnome/nautilus issue something they are going to fix/change?

Probably not. Its not an 'issue' to them

This works by drawing itself onto the root desktop. Nautilus runs a window over the root desktop.

To avoid this, they would have to hack into the way the background is set on the Nautilus window very heavily. Or have it run in a window which would requir a large rewrite and its resource footprint owuld increase immensly

"its resource footprint owuld increase immensly" like gdesklets :angry:

Works just like gkrellm - no temps. :angry:

Same here, no network traffic either...

but I still like it, this may be a stupid question, I run it under KDE 3.2, how do I get it to start up each time I log in?