kernel compile errors

I have recently tried to re-install linux on my laptop (arch linux this time) and had problems when it came to recompiling the kernel.

I copied the .config from my previous install and tried to use that, but I get the following errors during the make bzImage stage:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686   -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=sched  -fno-omit-frame-pointer -c -o sched.o sched.c
sched.c:213: error: conflicting types for 'reschedule_idle'
sched.c:210: error: previous declaration of 'reschedule_idle' was here
sched.c:213: error: conflicting types for 'reschedule_idle'
sched.c:210: error: previous declaration of 'reschedule_idle' was here
sched.c:371: error: conflicting types for 'wake_up_process'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:603: error: previous declaration of 'wake_up_process' was here
sched.c:371: error: conflicting types for 'wake_up_process'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:603: error: previous declaration of 'wake_up_process' was here
sched.c:409: error: conflicting types for 'schedule_timeout'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:148: error: previous declaration of 'schedule_timeout' was here
sched.c:409: error: conflicting types for 'schedule_timeout'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:148: error: previous declaration of 'schedule_timeout' was here
sched.c:739: error: conflicting types for '__wake_up'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:595: error: previous declaration of '__wake_up' was here
sched.c:739: error: conflicting types for '__wake_up'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:595: error: previous declaration of '__wake_up' was here
sched.c:749: error: conflicting types for '__wake_up_sync'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:596: error: previous declaration of '__wake_up_sync' was here
sched.c:749: error: conflicting types for '__wake_up_sync'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:596: error: previous declaration of '__wake_up_sync' was here
sched.c:759: error: conflicting types for 'complete'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/completion.h:31: error: previous declaration of 'complete' was here
sched.c:759: error: conflicting types for 'complete'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/completion.h:31: error: previous declaration of 'complete' was here
sched.c:769: error: conflicting types for 'wait_for_completion'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/completion.h:30: error: previous declaration of 'wait_for_completion' was here
sched.c:769: error: conflicting types for 'wait_for_completion'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/completion.h:30: error: previous declaration of 'wait_for_completion' was here
sched.c:804: error: conflicting types for 'interruptible_sleep_on'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:600: error: previous declaration of 'interruptible_sleep_on' was here
sched.c:804: error: conflicting types for 'interruptible_sleep_on'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:600: error: previous declaration of 'interruptible_sleep_on' was here
sched.c:815: error: conflicting types for 'interruptible_sleep_on_timeout'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:601: error: previous declaration of 'interruptible_sleep_on_timeout' was here
sched.c:815: error: conflicting types for 'interruptible_sleep_on_timeout'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:601: error: previous declaration of 'interruptible_sleep_on_timeout' was here
sched.c:828: error: conflicting types for 'sleep_on'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:597: error: previous declaration of 'sleep_on' was here
sched.c:828: error: conflicting types for 'sleep_on'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:597: error: previous declaration of 'sleep_on' was here
sched.c:839: error: conflicting types for 'sleep_on_timeout'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:598: error: previous declaration of 'sleep_on_timeout' was here
sched.c:839: error: conflicting types for 'sleep_on_timeout'
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:598: error: previous declaration of 'sleep_on_timeout' was here
sched.c:210: warning: 'reschedule_idle' declared `static' but never defined
make[2]: *** [sched.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/kernel'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/kernel'
make: *** [_dir_kernel] Error 2

What could be causing these errors?

Edited by phunni

• 1 month later...

GCC before 3.3.3 had "something" missing so that prototypes' attributes could be different from attributes declared at the function body.

Since now GCC 3.3.3 correctly emits a warning whenever the prototype doesnot match the function UP TO THE CHAR, it barks out.

And Linux 2.4.x is affected by this now.

I have put up a fix that solves this.

fastcall.diff

Even though it's diffed against 2.4.21-SuSE202, it should work against most other 2.4s. If not, well, you can only correct offending hunks by hand :-)

edit@aug09: fixed link

Edited by Hirogen2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...