screen ratio out of whack

Here's what's going on:

I've decided to try MDK 9.2 on my laptop (this was my first Mandrake dist. and It worked so well on my desktop). Everything runs fine (except for that stupid MS Wireless card) but my screen ratio is all mucked up. My laptop only really looks good with 1024 x 768 res., but MDK only gives me two options for resolution (800 x 600 and one even lower, but I can't remember it right now) and 1024 x 768 is not one of them

A couple of days ago, I tried Knoppix on this computer and it worked like a champ (except for that stupid wi-fi card again)

What can I do to fix this?

Also, If anyone knows a good source that would help me get a MS wireless card (MN-720) work, I would appreciate the help.

Edit: moved from Software by spinynorman

If drakconf keeps giving you the wrong res and you dont wanna edit by hand my fav util is xf86cfg

You can test the resolutions/colour depths etc and ad them....

its a bit more involved than drakxconf but its a lot more flexible (for instance multi-screens etc)

First thing .... make a copy

cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.original

then if anything ever goes horridly wrong ... reverse this. :D

sorry at work so Im not sure if its in urpmi but if it is then you should see it from install programs (search for xf86cfg) or you can do it from the CLI with (as root)

urpmi xf86cfg

edits:

OR

Boot up knoppix again ... and mount your home drive (from Mandy) as read write

then

cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hda2/kmc/XF86Config-4.knoppix

Asuming your home for mandy is on hda2 and your username is kmc :D adjust appropraitely.

Of course you could copy it directly over but its always better to keep backup's IMHO. then do the backing up shown above then copy this one to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

also once its done have a look... it looks intimidating BUT youll puick up little bits and these will all start making more and more sense.

good luck

Edited by Gowator