Can you share email on a dual boot?

grendal

Is there a way to share email (Im using Mozilla Thunderbird) between mandy 10 and a windows xp install with NTFS? I know its possible wwith a fat32 partition, but can it be done with a NTFS partition?

Edited by grendal

Probably not, since NTFS support in linux is pretty much limited to read-only. The best thing you can do in linux is probably read the email in your NTFS drive by pointing a Mozilla based email client (thunderbird or mozilla mail) to where Thunderbird put your email in your NTFS partition. But since you cannot write NTFS partition, you cannot reply or delete any email.

The commercial product called Ext2FS Anywhere from Paragon allows access to Linux partitions from Windows. Theoretically, you could keep your mail on a Linux partition and read it using Mozilla for Win while in Windows. I have a demo version of Ext2FS Anywhere, it reads and writes files to Ext3 partitions. Only problem is that the demo version creates files with root read/write privileges. So when i boot back to Linux, i have to chown them.

The kantonnix CD has something called a NTFS capture..

I have no WinBlows so ..... anyway... it apparently uses the native NTFS drivers from the win install thus making it safe for writes.

I'd recommemnd trying it from the live CD ... then you get a hang of it and if itll work....then you can look at getting it in Mandy....

have you looked at Opera mail btw ?

No I havent tried Opera mail, is it similar to yahoo mail?? I have an old yahoo account that of course, the mail is stored by yahoo, so its can be read on any pc. Its just that that account has become samped with spam. I'll look into the Opera mail, since I also use that browser on both, along with mozilla firebird. I even have my wife, who almost refuses to use linux, using firebird instead of Explorer. So I guess that progress.

When I used the SME server I had popmail on my own server. Just like yahoo or hotmail ....

you could then downloadthe messages as normal pop if you wanted. All very cool.

I havent tried opera mail but it might be a simple solution ?