MDK10 Official PowerPak...No Sound

lawsonrc

fast reply (after bar)

Im assuming es1371 is the ensoniqs but i have an nforce right now so difficut to tell.

my guess right now is switch the

alias sound-slot-0 es1371 for the name of the module for the creative...

Im presuming the es1371 is the ensoniqs !!!

alias sound-slot-0 <name-of-module-for-soundblaster

Anyway, spent all day with soldering iron and laptop of freind of friend and kinda tired !!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lawsonrc's lspci -vv

02:0e.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)
Subsystem: Ensoniq Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI128
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Step ping- SERR+ FastB2B-
Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 32 (3000ns min, 32000ns max)
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
Region 0: I/O ports at dd80 [size=64]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot -,D3cold-)

mine

00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)
       Subsystem: Ensoniq Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI128
       Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
       Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
       Latency: 128 (3000ns min, 32000ns max)
       Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
       Region 0: I/O ports at d000 [size=64]
       Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
               Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

We both have the same line in the mod config files and both have the same modules loaded. The question is, why doesn't his work? :wacko:

I don't get it.

It's not the Latency, so the only thing left is the IRQ. How do you change that, easily? I've done it in bios, but.....that's probably not something lawsonrc is gonna want to do. Is there and easy way, to make just linux use another IRQ, IF the bios is set to auto? And do we really think this is the problem? or would it make more sense to first try alsa?

Edited by bvc

OK, I thought the Ensoniq was the other card, the one which is meant to be disabled. (did creative buy out ensoniqs?)

The IRQ setting will be driver dependent .. I guess its either in the documentation or its possible to guess the syntax with the moduleconfig. (using hardrake)

Its only a guess and Im at work now but IRQ=xx ?? is the usual format and I think it then reupdates the modules.conf etc.

MCC>Hardware>Hardware>Highlight your soundcard>Run config tool>Let me pick any driver>select the snd-ens-1371 and click ok...and I guess ok and save your way out....I've never done it ;) , well it's been a looooong time. Then in MCC>System>Services makes sure alsa is set to run at boot>reboot>let us know>don't forget to check the volumes etc...again. If problems post the module config files again.

Edited by bvc

Partial success:

I had to install ALSA from CD1, then I rebooted. ALSA showed in the verbose mode of booting.

While KDE was loading, it didn't play its catchy drum theme. Is this disabled by MDK10?

So I thought all had failed (well, something did...read on).

KMIX volumes are all up.

I launched frozen-bubble and the theme song immediately started playing. YEAH!

TuxRacer won't launch, it spins about 35 seconds and disappears.

THE FOLLOWING SUCKS--Music CD's have no sound.

Again....partial success.

So...what's wrong with tuxracer? How do I get music cd's to play?

I don't know?....it depends?

There are a lot of threads about ML-10/sound/apps. I haven't followed them in detail. I stuck with OSS because it works.

BTW, I said over about a year ago when the news hit that alsa would become the default that it would be a disaster. Heh, but what do I know ;)

Edited by bvc

I don't know?....it depends?

There are a lot of threads about ML-10/sound/apps. I haven't followed them in detail. I stuck with OSS because it works.

BTW, I said over about a year ago when the news hit that alsa would become the default that it would be a disaster. Heh, but what do I know ;)

LOL

Anyway, Im not sure of the exact relationship between arts and alsa ... is arts on top of alsa (anyone) like a layer.

The kde stuff usually needs arts ...

For instance I installed XMMS and it locked up when the OSS driver wasnt installed... unlike bvc i went the other route... which was installing xmms-arts.

This then works .... LOL :screwy:

Anyway, using KDE is a concession (I use it myself) and to me its a bit all or nothing. It becomes efficient the more apps you use for it. 90% of the time i just want something working and so I took the easy route for me.

If music CD's have no sound then

a) check the CD source icon in kmix and make sure volume is up

B) what are you using to play them ?

thanks Gowater....

In Kmix, the CD source icon has the volume up (already done as default).

I'm using KsCD. I changed from my CDROM-Drive to my DVD drive as my source because the CDRom Drive is sometimes buggy, causing me to reboot after it goes "dead" with a CD in it.

I have tried both drives and still no sound.

The only sound I get is playing frozen-bubble.

I'm now going to install XMMS.

RIchard

Edited by lawsonrc

OK

1) In the Configure your desktop (Kcontrol centre/sound daemon) you ticvk on the start arts at startup box and .... YOU should be able to TEST SOUND.

It might tell you things need to be restarted at this point. So log your user off and back on (not shutdown just the user)

2) make sure you have no xmms running

type exactly this

ps -ef ¦ grep xmms

(thats the vertical bar)

You should get one line which is a number then says grep xmms

If you get more than one line with xmms then shutdown completely (reboot)

3) If you have sound in the Kcontrol test then start xmms

DO NOT play anything yet!

Click the top left icon and a pulldown appears....

OK now preferences ...

choose plugins and OUTPUT probably says OSS. You should now be able to select alsa or arts from this box.

Select arts for now

Now choose a MP3 or wav file from somewhere.

Do you get sound :D

If so try a CD....

Hi Gowator,

I followed all your instructions; however in XMMS output, when I changed to arts, there was no sound. I had to close XMMS and reopen, then I was able to choose ALSA. Went again to /usr/share/sounds and chose a .wav file, and this time it played (Honk).

Then I put in a music CD, chose location, but again NO SOUND .

What next should I try?

Thanks for your patience.

Richard L.