damn near angry exit post

ezroller

I am so irritated with Mandrake 10 right now. I have a slew of errors.

I have no sound

KDE balks on startup about Knotify (do you want to disable arts?)

Then KDE just hangs at either "Loading Peripherals", or "Loading the Panel" and never actually starts.

On a fresh reboot, sometimes KDE will start with just the knotify error, but when I get into it, I have no desktop. I can't right-click on the desktop, etc.

Mandrake 9.2 was amazing on this machine, now it is so broken IMO that it is a joke. I've lost almost all desire to fool with linux distro's and beat them into submission. I want a distro that just works. Mandrake used to be just that for me, but now it just sucks.

yeah, as we speak, its just blinking "Loading the Panel"

ezroller.....

I know the feeling....

9.2 was klike this for me.... strangly 10CE is working fine ??

I remember aussie_john having issues with 9.2 too and saying more or less the same as you are now.

I took a break on debian stuff via Kantonnix for a while and then magically 10CE works.

Hi Gowater.

Yes I have also got Mandrake 10 Ce working and it has run perfectly from the beginning. As you said about 9.2, I was really unhappy with it but after I downloaded all the errata and fixes two weeks later, it ran like a clock with never any problems. My main anger about 9.2 as initially released as the Official edition was that it had so many holes in it that it was like a sieve. It was as though NO checking and testing had been properly done. Mandrake 10CE on the other hand worked almost flawlessly apart from the stuffup of the CDROM boot up routine to do the Install. And now my purchased set of OFFICIAL Edition (4cd pressed set) is winging its way to me from Sydney and I should have it in about 7hrs time. Express Posted yesterday afternoon and costing the gigantic (sarcasm here) sum of A$25.50 including the Express Post delivery. Why would one want to do it any other way???

ezroller, slow down and step back. With all the problems you are having I am fairly certain it is not Mandrake10 (CE or OE) it is possibly your install procedure you setup or the Cdroms are ones you burned from downloads and you did not do the mdsum check (I think that is the title) that BVC, Gowater and others have REPEATEDLY advised.

On a different note and not necessarily referring to ezroller:-

One makes a lousy CDROM or CDROMS and one blames Mandrake for that? I don't think so. Do you purchase your cdrom set?? I always do, and I therefore avoid that kind of a problem. Dammit , the Official Editions cdroms sets are dirt cheap, reliable and are printed by Mandrake itself so it returns a little money back to Mandrake, (not a lot but at least a little) The CE cdroms sets are usually burned by Linux retailers for their Mandrake customers. and none of this income goes to Mandrake but even these sets are relatively dirt cheap.

Actually I have been developing increasingly little sympathy for the web downloaders of Mandrake. If they put in even one tenth of the effort they put into downloading, into locating a Linux supplier and buying a set of disks they would find it cheaper and more reliable in the short and long term.

One cannot afford even the low price for a set of discs???. If your'e a Smoker, you blow more than that amount away in smoke within a week or at most 2weeks.

Do you like your drink? same applies here too. Even cash strapped students have never been able to convince me of their need to download. All are excuses but not reasons.

Back to ezroller.

If it is the cdroms at fault and you don't have a convenient local Linux retailer source then I am sure you would have absolutely NO difficulty buying from anyone of a number of Australian sources. They already ship all over the world , even to France which is the nominal home of Mandrake but which is apparently extremely poorly serviced by Linux retailers. I believe the great USA is only marginally better so many in the USA also buy from Australia. If you require help in this regard then PM me and we will see what we can specifically do for you.

As I have said to others on many occassions in the past, if you cannot get Mandrake to work then you are highly unlikely to get any other Flavour of Linux running OK either.

Cheers. John.

ouch. that's my sig. My main problem in purchasing is I don't have a credit card, I have trouble paying unless it's COD :P I guess those other cash-strapped students might face a similar problem.

Downloading is my only option until I find a linux reseller close enough to actually go to. (Software pirates who sell illegal copies of SuSE don't count) Believe me, I'm trying.

hmm

I think it goes in versions....

9.1 worked fine ... then 9.2 wouldnt be stable whatever I did. (problems with nvidia driver and nforce and >1GB RAM....)

Then I tried knoppix and was happy.... then kantonnix, based on knoppix with a debian HD install and that was fine....

9.2 still with updates wasnt stable....

then 10RC seemed stable.... but I wasnt risking it.... now 10CE seems great.

On CD's , Aussie John, perhaps im unlucky or perhaps MDK #### on their own doorstep but my last two powerpacks (9.1 and 9.2) both had faulty CDs. 9.2 are terrible, not even round!! In the end even though I paid I tried a set of a magazine and it worked ....

Seems bizarre .... I agree but if you saw the disks youd agree too.

Hence I didnnt but 10....

also I have NO INTENTION of buying a RC even if its called CE. :D not when I know theres another better one coming out.

Sorry, if I bought it Id be supportting lousy marketing and deceiving MDK....

I will buy official though and AMD64.

You have my sympathies.

I spent nearly 3 weeks fighting and polling those who frequent these boards, on how to get my 9.2 install to work. Never got crap for success. Wouldn't even run ten minutes.

Loaded MDK 10 two days ago and it screams on my machine. Ran stress test while I slept 6 hours last night. It sure saved Mandrake a fan because I was pretty sour after the previous experience.

Sorry guys, I'm a student too and I download my own ISOs. However I ALWAYS run MD5 checksums before burning to make sure I'm starting with good images. That way if I burn a coaster I know it's not the data's problem.

The other side to it is that I'm very loyal and I'm saving money to actually pay for the Power Pack next month (yes I know I can get it all free, but I need new widgets once in awhile to keep me occupied). Incidently, if you feel like messing with it, the Bit Torrents are showing up all over as of last night. Frankly, I think BTs are a pain in the arse.

Don't give up. We are smarter than the software. I agree, if you are not doing an upgrade I would format the partitions and do a clean install, after verifying your images. Good luck.

Dan