Has anyone gotten IE to run under wine on mdk 9.0?

Guest tisonlyi

Guest tisonlyi

'All' i want to do is run IE to test web pages in as i'm developing them...

I've been trying withough success for a couple of days now with WINE (the urpmi 2002080X install) and I'm wondering if anyone out there has had any success in getting it to run?

Any hints and tips would be very gratefully received...

- Frustrated of Helsinki

Guest LinuxExplorer

Sorry. The only way I've gotten IE to work (which it still causes fatal exceptions and the sort) is with Win4Lin. I haven't run it from the command line of Wine. Its good to use if you want/need a WYSIWYG environment with Frontpage or Dreamweaver. That way at least you can switch between browsers and editors without having to dual boot.

Guest tisonlyi

yeah, it's a bit expensive...

at almost the same price as a copy of windows itself...

bah.

i shall have to get around to buying the crossover plugin, apparently there a good few people who've had good fortune installing IE with that...

or, my other option is to convert the 100's of millions of IE users over to Mozilla.

Hmmm...

;)

Guest tisonlyi

err...

I've been through those instructions several times, and it's failed every time.

I've chased .dll's and settings, searched all over the web for any help i could get.

I think even from the comments underneath that howto, you can get a feeling that while those instructions work for some, it appears others have endless troubles....

:-/

I spent the whole of last weekend chasing this demon, so if you have any experience of actually getting it to work, then i would be most grateful.

Thanks!

Guest HaloScan

The easiest way to get IE running in MDK would be to use VMware.

When I want to test my pages on IE though, I just use VNC to connect to a machine that's running Windows.

Strange I've Never had any problems Runing IE with wine. I'm currently using the latest wine and it runs IE 6 allright the only thing that stuffs up is the Icons on the Navigation bar.

Are you using wine with Windows or just Wine only.

I have Wine Only from 31102002

out of curiousity I tried to make the installation of IE5.0 but failed. havent tried more as have no demand for that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got IE running without a problem... easily

I installed the Wine off the MDK9.0 install CDs

To do that I went into the

KDE menu (or Gnome) -> Configuration -> Packages

Then go into install packages or something like that

Search for 'wine' and install it. You'll need your CDs handy

It would also be a good idea to completely remove your previous wine installation before installing.

I used WineSetupTK to configure Wine,

You can get an RPM for it at http://digilander.libero.it/winehqitalia/d...etuptk.i386.rpm

It ran IE without a problem. Except for the icons on the Navigation bar.

I will post my config options here later

Good luck

rcxau

Guest fubar::chi
yeah, it's a bit expensive...

at almost the same price as a copy of windows itself...

bah.

i shall have to get around to buying the crossover plugin, apparently there a good few people who've had good fortune installing IE with that...

or, my other option is to convert the 100's of millions of IE users over to Mozilla.

Hmmm...

;)

why would you have to convert them? mozilla can view flash and a whole lot of other plugins. You can view the page in mozilla and they can view it in ie. If it's an ie specific page (using activeX and the like) then you'll probably need ie. it isn't a requisite (even for so called ie only websites).

Going into IE then..... failed

It doesn't work now that i upgraded to IE6, IE4 worked

So if you want to use IE 6, ignore my suggestion.

can anyone help me get IE6 running under WINE version 20020804

I already have Word97, Excel 97 and Powerpoint97

Having IE6 running is essential because as a web developer I need to test whether my sites display well in IE as over 80% of people use IE. I have seen the light - i don't want to develop in Winblows. But i need to make my pages look good in it.

Thanks

rcxau