New Knoppix 3.4 Just Hit the Mirrors

I need to download that, i have a server at work that Gentoo will not boot on and everyone in the forums say the same thing about this old dell 2300, boot from knoppix and install it.

So there you have it, a good use for knoppix, to install/fix something else!

I need to download that, i have a server at work that Gentoo will not boot on and everyone in the forums say the same thing about this old dell 2300, boot from knoppix and install it.

So there you have it, a good use for knoppix, to install/fix something else!

LOL

Actually for an install I prefer kantonnix but it just booted from the PC I cant get MDK 10 to boot from which is what imk doing right now !!!

:oops:

I meant install gentoo from the knoppix live cd. ;-)

For some reason with all the raid/scis stuff in this box the gentoo live cd will not work, I've tried and many others every boot option there is and it just blows up.

Although i haven't tried the latest gentoo cd.

btw Gow,

I started reading today!

I downloaded the new knoppix. Some of you may know that I haven't gotten into the Debian style Distro yet. Well that is now gone.

This Distro is fantastic. I mean tex makes a good cd but in my humble option this takes the cake :thumbs:

I have an old AMD400 mhz puter with a ISA CMI8330 sound card built in. Until knoopix only 1 distro could automatically find and install it (SuSE).

I was so pleased with the disk I installed it to my hard drive. It works great. apt is already set up. The /etc/sources.list has good repositories in their already.

Installed to HD

#apt-get update

#apt-get upgrade

Its an old AMD400 with 320mb of ram. I have found that live cd distros work the best (performance wise). I installed SuSE 9.0 pro then stopped a lot of the processes but it was still slower than knoopix. Never know I may be hooked on Debian now :jester:

The mirrors might be being slammed but the extra people helps bitorrent

This is bloody amazing! I downloaded the knoppix torrent and within 3 seconds of starting it, it got to 300kbps!!!!

Get the torrent, because the more people who get it, the faster it goes. Probably faster than the mirrors

To use the torrent,

1) urpmi bittorrent

2) download torrent from here: http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:6969/

3) run: btdownloadgui.py /path/to/downloaded/KNOPPIX.torrent

And watch the magic. Easy as that. Torrents are also good because youcan stop resume it any time.

iphitus

Hi I am new here I am downloading knoppix 3.4 but the file is in rar format in order to burn this I need to unrar and the burn the iso file right? I ask this because I just recently download a leaked copy of Longhorn to do a test of course but the file is also a rar one and I don't know how to burn this, please help this poor newbie here jedis..

:D

The file is not a rar format, only Windows think it is ;-)

You don't unrar the file. You need to burn it as it is:

In Nero f.e., it's something like:

File --> Burn iso image (or similiar)

On your burned CD you'll find then directories with files.

You may want to read more about:

- how to verify an downloaded iso image, with md5sum

- how to burn iso files

You'll find these instruction, step by step, usually in the same dir of the ftp mirror where you downloaded the Knoppix file.

Or search this board: md5sum

Good luck, and welcome to Linux and this board.

More questions? Don't hesitate to ask.

The file is not a rar format, only Windows think it is ;-)

You don't unrar the file. You need to burn it as it is:

In Nero f.e., it's something like:

File --> Burn iso image (or similiar)

On your burned CD you'll find then directories with files.

You may want to read more about:

- how to verify an downloaded iso image, with md5sum

- how to burn iso files

You'll find these instruction, step by step, usually in the same dir of the ftp mirror where you downloaded the Knoppix file.

Or search this board: md5sum

Good luck, and welcome to Linux and this board.

More questions? Don't hesitate to ask.

Hi and thank for your quick answer I am learning fast in this forum. Ok I solved the problem already, the main problem was Winrar confiration when you install the latest version by default he put ISO files in rar format, so I only need to uncheck this option and burn my disc with Nero without any problem.

I used Knoppix and it a cool distro for a newbie like me....hands down everything is working perfectly but I have a problem with my ADSL modem because Knoppixx didn´t find my moden, I have a Zyxel Prestige 630 Series and I was lloking for some driver but I didn´t find anything, in order to install Mandrake 10 I need to practice in Knoppix and now I am worried than MDK didn´t recognice my ADSL Modem also.

Anyone here have this modem here? Where I can find the drivers for Linux?

I have a Zyxel Prestige 630 Series and I was lloking for some driver but I didn´t find anything, in order to install Mandrake 10 I need to practice in Knoppix and now I am worried than MDK didn´t recognice my ADSL Modem also.

Anyone here have this modem here? Where I can find the drivers for Linux?

There's a Zyxel driver at Sourceforge - dont know if it's the right one... :unsure: