Apple iBook question

An Apple iBook is about to fall into my lap. Not the new tiny kind - but the older and curvier G3 variety... Does anyone have any experience running Linux on one of these? What's it like?

This machine will have a G3 366, 192MB of RAM, OS 10.2 and a 10GB disk. No exotic peripherals - should I even bother with Linux? I welcome your thoughts...

Ta! :juggle:

i think you should try os x for a couple of months before deciding, lots of people love it, some people don't. That would be the best way :) not what we think you should use

It's more a question of will Linux work on this machine at all. I have used OS X quite a bit: it's alright but somewhat overrated imho.

Thanks for the input though.

well i've been speaking to other g3 notebook owners, and they say they love it, everything works in linux.

They were using gentoo on whichever grade of ibook uses a radeon 7500. Thats probably a bit more modern than yours, so i don't know how experiences would compare.

Gentoo eh? Whats a rough estimate on installation time? I have considered Gentoo before except at the time it was on a P266... need I say more? :-)

Any G3 Gentoo Mac users here? This machine was free, I really wanna put it to good use... :-)

Thanks for your continuing counsel fissy

Gentoo eh? Whats a rough estimate on installation time? I have considered Gentoo before except at the time it was on a P266... need I say more? :-)

Any G3 Gentoo Mac users here? This machine was free, I really wanna put it to good use... :-)

Thanks for your continuing counsel fissy

I've never installed gentoo on a mac, but you'll probably need to allow at least a couple od days for installation. If you set aside a weekend then, unless you have unexpected problems, that should be enough

This is a mandrake board - did anyone think of Mandrake?

I wouldnt dream of Gentoo - I had a P2 300mhz and X took 4 hours to compile

This is better but it wouldnt be a lot faster. But hey, you can try if you wish - if you are patient.

iphitus

The advantage to Mandrake is that it's a much quicker install and is therefore good for experimentation

You can either stick with Mdk (not a bad option) or use it to figure out how to get your hardware working and install another distro

4 hours t ocompile X is a long time, but gentoo will take longer to install, so it's not entirely unreasonable. It will give you a leaner system at the end - but you have to be prepared for a long install...

After much considering and pondering: and the fact that I now have this iBook staring in front of me: I have decided to install Yellow Dog 3.01 IF I find Jaguar too unusable on this machine.

Thankyou everyone for your adivce. I hope Mandrake 10.1 is PPC :-)