Konquerer hangs KDE every time!

Kylotan

Konqueror's stopped working. I've no idea why. Yesterday, it would hang like this on occasion. Now, it does it all the time. If I click the 'web browser' button then it doesn't open at all. If I click the 'Home' menu item, then after a delay of about 8 or 9 seconds it opens up the file manager view. I then type in a URL and upon pressing enter, the app hangs... and so does all of the KDE desktop. This is pretty unacceptable and looks way too much like MS Windows to me. Needless to say I am very angry that one app is bringing the whole desktop down. This is exactly what I came to Linux to avoid. But anyway...

How can I uninstall Konqueror and replace it with a fixed version? The package manager has no entry with 'konq' in the name. Right now the system is pretty much useless to me since I can't do anything without a web browser and file manager.

The only thing I've changed since before is that I've started doing some updates with the Mandrake Update tool. Surely all these are well tested...

Sometimes software and hardware are unpredictable. B)

If you could give some more details, it would really help. What is your system? Vid card?

Do you remember what updates you ran? (Updates can cause problems, just like windex!)

You could always re-install your sytem with an upgrade option, and only select kde. That is a quick and easy way to restore selected programs. But it is good to be certain that konqorer is the problem.

I don't know what updates are installed. It was doing this before I installed any; it just happens to be doing it permanently now.

I have a nvidia geforce2 mx200 gfx card, on a Sis chipset, with various other things... I really don't think this is a hardware issue.

I don't know what else to say. I can't even look back at what you posted because I'm posting this on Lynx, not my favourite of browsers.

I don't know how to upgrade only KDE. I don't recall KDE having its own separate section whenever I've installed Mandrake.

Yes, that can indeed happen, especially when kde makes a change, then Mandrake customizes only to find some inconsistencies, and finally they get it right!