Kazaa-Lite K++ under Wine ?

Anyone knows if Kazaa-Lite works under Wine ? I tried Gift and it doesn't work too well. I tried to compile Limewire, but it says that I need java, even though I install the RPM of java. I was wondering I could use WINE to use Kazaa-Lite K++ instead of logging into Windows XP each time I want to do some p2p :) Notice that I never reall used WINE. I did only once to try StarCraft under Linux, and it worked without changing a thing so I have no wine experience. Could you guys help me out ? Thanks a lot !

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...t=0entry20371

Use the search funtion to find these things. I was pretty sure there was also a detailed 'HowTo' on the Tips&Tricks Forums, but I cannot seem to find it.

Also, why do you need to compile Limewire? I thought they had a binary file for most distro's? See http://www.limewire.com/english/content/do...nloadfree.shtml

I suppose your runnning Mandrake 10?

Edited by Darkelve

My friend RaiderFox wrote one.....

Written by: raiderfox

Date of creation: 06/15/03, 3:12pm est

Guide: Installing and running Kazaa Lite 2.1.0 build 3 via wine

Before we begin notes:

Before considering running Kazaa Lite on Linux, you should check out a native program, like giFT. It'll save you some headaches in the long run. Also, please keep in mind that this is what worked for me. There are several guides out there for running various versions of Kazaa Lite via wine, but none of them worked for me. Also, so you know what kind of system I have:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4: 2ghz

Graphics Processor: Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4600: 4x agp, 128mb

Sound Processor: Onboard Intel sound

Ram: 512mb RDram

48x DVD-rom

32x/24x/12x CDR/W

Distrobution: SuSE Linux 8.2 Personal - Kernel 2.4.20

Wine: Compiled from source; 20030508 (yes SuSE comes with an rpm version of wine, but I prefer to compile it)

First things first: get the files.

You'll need to get the installer, (which you can get at http://kazaalite.tk) as well as some native M$ windows DLLs, (I used Windows 98SE, your milage may vary otherwise) which you can obtain from http://www.drd.dyndns.org.

What you need:

commctrl

comctrl32

shdocvw

shdoclc

shlwapi

rasapi32

msvcrt

urlmon

wininet

There'll probably be a few of these files already in your ../(fake_)windows/system directory, which you should store in a safe place for a rainy day or whatever. What I did was create a subdirectory in ../(fake_)windows/system called Dll_orig and moved the dlls that I already have that had the same name in there.

After you've downloaded and stored the dll's in the system directory, go find your Wine registry config file. For me, this is ~/.wine/config.

Add these lines to your registry:

[AppDefaults\\kazaalite.kpp\\DllOverrides]

"commctrl" = "native"

"comctrl32" = "native"

"shdocvw" = "native"

"shlwapi" = "native"

[AppDefaults\\kpp.exe\\DllOverrides]

"comctrl32" = "native"

"comdlg32" = "native"

"rasapi32" = "native"

"msvcrt" = "native"

"shdoclc" = "native"

"shdocvw" = "native"

"shlwapi" = "native"

"urlmon" = "native"

"wininet" = "native"

[AppDefaults\\klitekpp210b3e.exe\\DllOverrides]

"commctrl" = "native"

"comctl32" = "native"

"shdocvw" = "native"

"shlwapi" = "native"

(also, make sure your Wine winver is set to win98)

Ready to Install!

cd into the directory where you downloaded the kazaa lite installer, and run it like you would any other windows program via wine - "wine klitekpp210b3e.exe". When you get to the part of selecting what to install, remove all the unnecesary components. (I haven't tested any of the componnents, so I can't verify if it [the extra components] works or not) Also, when you get to the part of having the option of launching the program or configurator, don't (again, untested). After the install closes, you should then be able to run Kazaa Lite. cd into the directory it was installed in, and type "wine kpp.exe", and voila! It's buggy and fairly slow, but the search and transfer tabs work (albeit distrorted), as well as the system tray icon, under KDE. Enjoy!

Written by: raiderfox

Date of creation: 06/15/03, 3:12pm est

Guide: Installing and running Kazaa Lite 2.1.0 build 3 via wine

Before we begin notes:

Before considering running Kazaa Lite on Linux, you should check out a native program, like giFT. It'll save you some headaches in the long run. Also, please keep in mind that this is what worked for me. There are several guides out there for running various versions of Kazaa Lite via wine, but none of them worked for me. Also, so you know what kind of system I have:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4: 2ghz

Graphics Processor: Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4600: 4x agp, 128mb

Sound Processor: Onboard Intel sound

Ram: 512mb RDram

48x DVD-rom

32x/24x/12x CDR/W

Distrobution: SuSE Linux 8.2 Personal - Kernel 2.4.20

Wine: Compiled from source; 20030508 (yes SuSE comes with an rpm version of wine, but I prefer to compile it)

First things first: get the files.

You'll need to get the installer, (which you can get at http://kazaalite.tk) as well as some native M$ windows DLLs, (I used Windows 98SE, your milage may vary otherwise) which you can obtain from http://www.drd.dyndns.org.

What you need:

commctrl

comctrl32

shdocvw

shdoclc

shlwapi

rasapi32

msvcrt

urlmon

wininet

There'll probably be a few of these files already in your ../(fake_)windows/system directory, which you should store in a safe place for a rainy day or whatever. What I did was create a subdirectory in ../(fake_)windows/system called Dll_orig and moved the dlls that I already have that had the same name in there.

After you've downloaded and stored the dll's in the system directory, go find your Wine registry config file. For me, this is ~/.wine/config.

Add these lines to your registry:

[AppDefaults\\kazaalite.kpp\\DllOverrides]

"commctrl" = "native"

"comctrl32" = "native"

"shdocvw" = "native"

"shlwapi" = "native"

[AppDefaults\\kpp.exe\\DllOverrides]

"comctrl32" = "native"

"comdlg32" = "native"

"rasapi32" = "native"

"msvcrt" = "native"

"shdoclc" = "native"

"shdocvw" = "native"

"shlwapi" = "native"

"urlmon" = "native"

"wininet" = "native"

[AppDefaults\\klitekpp210b3e.exe\\DllOverrides]

"commctrl" = "native"

"comctl32" = "native"

"shdocvw" = "native"

"shlwapi" = "native"

(also, make sure your Wine winver is set to win98)

Ready to Install!

cd into the directory where you downloaded the kazaa lite installer, and run it like you would any other windows program via wine - "wine klitekpp210b3e.exe". When you get to the part of selecting what to install, remove all the unnecesary components. (I haven't tested any of the componnents, so I can't verify if it [the extra components] works or not) Also, when you get to the part of having the option of launching the program or configurator, don't (again, untested). After the install closes, you should then be able to run Kazaa Lite. cd into the directory it was installed in, and type "wine kpp.exe", and voila! It's buggy and fairly slow, but the search and transfer tabs work (albeit distrorted), as well as the system tray icon, under KDE. Enjoy!

Edited by ShadowFoxLSU