smb shares awkward to use

Kylotan

Ok, I've no idea what the real problem is here so I'll just throw out some symptoms and hope that someone understands.

I'm running 10CE, on a network with a WinXP machine that has 2 shared directories.

I've set them up in the samba mounts part of the Control Center to be mounted automatically with unique names in /mnt .

1) when it attempts to mount them at boot time, it appears to hang. It waits over 2 minutes doing this. I press ctrl-c/d/z/etc to no avail. Eventually it seems to give up, spews a lot of error messages at me, then boots into KDE before I get to read them. Maybe it's something to do with it claiming that it fails to bring up eth0, even though the networking obviously works. Anyway, I would really like to not have this 2 minute wait during boot time. Nothing in /var/log/ seems to show these messages so I can't tell you what they are. If I remove the mount points from the Control Centre then this step seems to be skipped.

2) Despite this apparent failure, /var/log/user.log seems to indicate that diskdrake manages to mount at least one of these directories ok, but makes no mention of the other one. This is confirmed by what I see when I browse the mount points in Konqueror - one of the directories contains what I would expect it to contain, while the other remains empty when there should be documents there.

3) returning to control centre -> samba mount points, it shows the correct mount points for both shares, but makes the 'mount' button available for both, as if neither were mounted, when at least one of them clearly is. If I then click the mount button for the share I know is not mounted, it brings up a little diskdrake window saying it's mounting it. This freezes up and I have to close Control Centre. HOWEVER, the mounting was successful and I can now browse that share.

4) when mounted I do not have write access to these shares, whereas under Windows 98 I would have write access.

So, what I want is:

- ideally, these 2 directories mounted at boot time

- no ridiculous delay while waiting for this

- no inconsistency between what is actually mounted and what control centre thinks is mounted

- write access would be nice too.

Any clues?

Yea, the underlying filesystem is irrelavent. The SMB protocol takes care everything.

As for getting things to work, can you post your fstab entries, also, is the username and password the same on the mandrake box and the winXP box? Have you done any configuration in samba? or are you just using smbclient?

/etc/fstab:

relevant lines:

//archangel/Documents /mnt/archangel/documents smbfs username=k 0 0

//archangel/My\040Music /mnt/archangel/music smbfs username=k 0 0

username is 'k' and no password is supplied. I don't have access to the XP box at the moment but I'm 99% sure that there's been no special configuration done on it except perhaps allowing the guest account. This username/password combination works fine from this computer when connecting from Win98 (on my other partition).

All my configuration I did from the Mandrake Control Center... which I think uses embedded diskdrake actually (at least, that's what shows up on ps ax).